○ Chapter 27 ○

"Thank you for meeting up with me for lunch today!" I said eagerly as Sandra and I sat down at our favorite lunch spot

"Oh of course, anything to get out of that stupid office. Without you there it's so boring." She rolled her eyes, pushing the menu to the side. We've come here often enough that neither of us really needed to even look. We both knew what we wanted.

"Sorry, if there was a better way to handle everything, I would." I stirred the water in the glass the server had sat down a moment earlier, thinking about how everything was going to change so drastically.

"How are things going in the office other than me being gone and it being boring?" I asked. We usually had meetings on Thursday mornings, and I wasn't able to attend this one in person with the transition to remote work.

"The meeting this morning was pointless. The boss went over all the reports from last week basically as nothing has changed. The only interesting thing about it was that he did mention he wanted more notice from employees when big things were going on in their lives. It seemed super weird to me that he would even make a comment about it. It's not like you told him the day before that you weren't coming back to work. You literally went into his office and asked him for the time and the chance to work from home."

When the server returned, we ordered our food.

"He really said something like that?" I asked, my stomach turning in circles. Was I really that bad of an employee that he was going to start using me as an example of what not to do in the business meetings?

"I don't know. He never gave any more information other than just simple asking for some more notice and then left the meeting. It was really abrupt. I wonder if he had something else going on that he isn't letting on to his employees. You know he isn't very social."

She was right. Our boss never let anyone know what was going on in his personal life. He wouldn't show up to the holiday parties, or answer any of the team building emails where we are supposed to get to know each other. He always seemed to have better or other things to do.

"Oh well I guess."

"What's been going on with you though? Things getting any easier?"

"Nope, tonight we have to tell the kids." I was dreading this afternoon. Logan was supposed to be home from work somewhat early and before dinner we were going to tell them that he was leaving on another deployment and that they were going to stay with their grandma for a few weeks. I knew they weren't going to take it very well.

"Oh god, that's gotta be so nerve wrecking to think about." Sandra placed her hands on her cheeks.

"It's the worst thing. Mazie is always so heart broken when her dad has to leave. She has a much harder time than Marcus does, but that's her dad. She and Logan and thick as thieves. They do pretty much everything together and she has him wrapped so tight around her finger I don't know if she could even feel it anymore." I wanted to run away and ignore the rest of the day. Unfortunately though, I had to be an adult and be strong for the kids.