○ Chapter 17 ○

"Are you almost ready for our date?" Logan asks, pulling on one of his nicer jackets

"Are you almost ready for our date?" Logan asks, pulling on one of his nicer jackets. The kids were running around the living room, making a huge ruckus about some toy I couldn't see. I wasn't too worried about it right now. Leaning forward to look into the mirror, I wiped some of the smeared lipstick off the edge of my mouth. Popping my lips and tossing my hair to the side to fluff it up a little more.

"Yeah, I'm pretty much ready. If you want to get the kids jackets on and such, we should be ready to go." I touched up my makeup one last time. Logan grabbed my hips as he shuffled past me to head towards the living room.

The noise in the living room settled as soon as Logan had left the bathroom. I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of the kids seeing their dad and running to their side of the room to pretend like they weren't doing anything wrong. I was a little nervous for tonight, so the humor of the twins helped a great deal.

My stomach was twisted Into so many knots I wasn't sure I'd be able to untie it later. Why was I so nervous? I was just going on a date with my husband. We weren't doing anything super out of the box. First we would go to dinner and then to a movie. It was our typical date night as the smaller town we lived in had very little options.

The political climate of our town made it difficult for any small business to survive.

Once I finally felt ready, and had done enough deep breathing exercises to get myself through the car ride to my mother's house, I made my way to the living room.

The twins were sitting perfectly on the couch, their coats were on, their shoes were on and they even had their to go bags.

I was quite amazed with how quickly Logan was able to get everything ready.

"Let's go." I smiled, waving the kids to follow.

~*~

"I'm so glad your mother was able to watch the kids for the night." Logan smiles, holding my hand from across the table. His eyes were focused on me. Mine dances across the menu struggling to find something that I would like. At times I hated going to these nicer restaurants. I was always in a struggle between something I would like and trying somewhere new and food was always so difficult for me.

"I am too, and I feel a little sad that we haven't seen her much since you've been back. It always feels strange to go spend some time with your parents, then to not do that with mine. I don't know why we could, but I feel like I'm always caught in the struggle of keeping things even between the in-laws." My parents loved our kids more than anything and it's true, we hadn't been around as much as we had been. When Logan is away we go to my parents house at least once a week. Once he returns that seems to all stop the second he walks through the door.

He didn't have any issues with my parents so that definitely wasn't our problem. Things just got busy and with the focus leaning more towards his family, we didn't seem to have the time.