○ Chapter 29 ○

The kids were up bright and early this morning, begging Logan to play with them

The kids were up bright and early this morning, begging Logan to play with them. Logan, of course, obliged and was running around with them all day. But as the evening started to cool off, it was time for our day before deployment tradition.

I'd been working on snacks all day in hopes of making this one the best one and hopefully one to remember, considering this one should be our last one.

I couldn't help but laugh at how dumb I sounded, though. The last one was supposed to be our last one and now this surprise one. I had to figure out how I was going to top our previous movie night, but there wasn't really much else you could add to it.

It was a movie night.

Logan and the twins were in the living room pulling all the cushions off the couch and making a giant 'cuddle puddle' as we liked to call it.

"Dad, I want you to sit right here next to me!" Mazie shouts, her shrill voice showing true signs of distress. She has been on edge all day, worried about everything not going perfectly. She had a little bit of my control freak in her, and it really showed when she was getting stressed about her dad leaving.

"Honey, it's okay. I can sit next to both of you at the same time. Where would you like to sit?" Logan was down on his knees, making sure he was down on her level. She wiped some of the tears out of her eyes before pointing to the spot on the pillows that she deemed was for her. "Okay, I will sit here, and you can sit there where you want to, and if Marcus is okay with it he can sit right here." Logan pointed out the spots, hoping that Mazie would approve of his plan.

"I don't care where I sit as long as it's by dad." Marcus shrugged, plopping down on the pillow that was supposed to be his spot.

"Well, where am I going to sit?" I ask, bringing a big bowl of caramel popcorn into the living room.

"Mazie, where do you want your mom to sit?" Logan was being so patient with her, making sure she was satisfied with everything going on around her. It was so sweet to watch.

She pointed at the seat next to her, putting me on the opposite end of Marcus. I nodded, taking my seat, too nervous to interrupt anything.

"This is perfect!" Mazie shouts, the tears drying from her eyes as she looks at all the food on the coffee table in front of her. "There's literally everything I could ever want right here." She grabbed a juice box and leaned back against the cushions before stabbing the straw in the top of it and gulping the juice down.

"What movie are we going to watch tonight, then?" Marcus asks.

This was the one thing I hadn't figured out. I hated picking movies, and so did everyone else, it seemed. Everyone wanted to watch something different. If we let Mazie pick, we'd be watching some sort of mermaid thing or an animated barbie movie. If Marcus picked its monster trucks, or some fix-it show. If Logan picked, it was a war movie, and that was the worst thing to watch, especially with the kids, right before he was about to leave. My option was always a comedy movie, as I had a hard time getting through anything else.