○ Chapter 21 ○

"Another work week is done, how are you feeling?" Logan asks as we all sit at the dining room table

 "Another work week is done, how are you feeling?" Logan asks as we all sit at the dining room table. Logan had helped make dinner tonight, making it so we were able to get seated sooner than I had expected. I was so thankful for this as my body ached from yet another day of trying to fully catch up on my emails.

"Better now that I'm all caught up at work and won't be just struggling to get all of these damn emails answered." I took a bite of the chicken, savoring all of the delicious flavors. The kids were quietly doing homework while they ate dinner.

"Well, we are almost through this week and we will have another weekend. It's a duty free weekend so we actually get to spend some time as a family." Little butterflies danced around my stomach as I heard him say duty free.

Before I could respond Logan's phone started ringing.

He pulled it out of his pocket and sat it on the table seeing who it was. It was his brother. Ignoring the call, Logan went back to his meal. Within seconds the screen lit up again. Whatever his brother needed it was important. I nodded towards the phone.

Logan grabbed it, answering quickly as he left the room to take the call.

"How's your homework going?" I asked the kids, watching as they filled in every empty spot of the homework pages placed in front of them.

"It's really easy tonight. I wish we had something a little harder to do, when it's this easy it's just annoying." Mazie grumbles, continuing onto the next problem. Utter shock took over my face.

"Whose kid are you? I was never like that in school." I chuckled prodding at Mazie with my fork. I turned to look in the direction that Logan had left to take the phone call. The minutes seemed to pass by and I knew there was a problem when the kids and I had finished our meals while his food was still sitting there getting cold.

The twins cleaned up their plates, washed their faces and left for their room to change into their pajamas. While they were getting ready for bed I loaded their backpacks and made sure their lunches were ready. Once everything was set up for another school day I left them by the front door.

Logan was still on the phone.

"Mom, when is dad getting off the phone, I'm really tired and want to go to bed." Marcus whines, holding his blanket from his bed in his hands. I shook my head, once again shocked by the comments coming out of these kids. I would need to check and make sure they weren't coming down with something.

"He's busy, but I will come help you and put you to bed sweetheart." I knew it wasn't what he wanted but it was what he was going to have to deal with tonight.

Even after we were all done with bedtime stories and the rest of the routine, I had turned the light off and left the room. I noticed Logan was still on the phone, sitting on our bed with tears streaming down his face. I rushed to his side, placing my hand on his back and rubbing it in slow circles. He put the phone on speaker and I could hear his brother on the other end of the line.