○ Chapter 22 ○

My weekend was supposed to be so clear

My weekend was supposed to be so clear. Logan was supposed to be home and we were supposed to be hanging out. The kids had a birthday party to go to so it would have been just Logan and I spending some time together.

But I sat here in the coffee shop that the FRG was hosting their coffee meetup at. I didn't plan on coming to this. I could have just stayed home, and the more people that filtered through the front door, the more I wanted to jump up and run for the safety of my own bed.

I felt scared to be at home alone though.

Like maybe I was wasting my life if I didn't get out and do something today. I was letting Abby down if I didn't get out of bed today. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning though. Logan left for work, after switching duty days with another guy on the boat in hopes they would allow him to take some time off work to help Peter. I didn't want to be sitting here in this coffee shop with no one I knew.

This kind of stuff made me feel more alone than I did when Logan was away. But if I could just make it through this coffee meetup, I'd be able to pick the kids up and take them to my mother's house. We could spend our evening there, like we used to before Logan got home.

"Hey ladies, it's just me today, Sabrina's husband randomly got the day off even though he was supposed to have duty today." The treasurer states. I think her name was Emily but I couldn't quite remember.

"Oh how lucky of her!" Another wife intersects. I mentally rolled my eyes. Yes, how lucky of her that my sister-in-law got cancer and my husband needs to get some time off work. The comment though inherently unharmful sent a wave of anger through my body. What did luck have anything to do with it?

"Yes, but because of that she can no longer make it. She wants to spend the day spending time with her husband." My skin began to crawl.

"Is your husband home?" Before I could even realize what I had said it was too late. Emily turned to look at me, shock in her eyes. I'm sure she didn't even know my name though I've been here longer than her.

"Yes he is home playing with our kids." Her voice was soft as she cowered under my words.

Many would look at this and Tuesday nights events as the spouses were just so rude to the FRG members. That wasn't the case. The wives were fed up with all of the bullshit the board members have put them through. Both with a lack of Information and when they finally do settle on something they change it without a second thought, leading to multiple plan changes.

It also wasn't my intention to be so harsh. I just simply wanted to point out the fact that not everyone here was here because their husband was on duty, so how disrespectful of the president to hold herself to a different standard.

"That's my point exactly. I bet you'd really love to spend some time with him." I took a sip of my coffee, catching eyes with the redhead from Tuesday night. I was shocked to see her here. I switched seats, putting myself closer to her.