○ Chapter 20 ○

Duty days were always the worst

I hated that Logan had to sleep on the boat and wouldn't come home for dinner. It felt like they had taken him away again, but only for a trial run.

Duty days were everything a deployment was, but would happen every 3-4 days. Though they were on a scheduled cycle, they always seemed to pop out of nowhere.

Last night, when dinner rolled around and Logan never came home, the kids were devastated. I knew I shouldn't have said anything, and you'd think that after so many years of this lifestyle, I would have things figured out by now.

I didn't.

If anything, it felt like I was still drowning in all of the sudden changes that at this point should be just so normal.

But today was a new day, and the start of a new month too. Logan would be home with the kids tonight, and I wouldn't have to sleep alone. But after work, I had to head over to the family readiness meeting. My mother would pick the kids up from school and Logan would pick them up from her house before heading home.

At least he would after he saw the text I sent him telling him he needed to. Now let's just hope he turns his phone on before driving all the way home.

Oh God, I hope he checked his phone when he got off work.

I couldn't think about that too much right now, I needed to focus on the emails in front of me. I needed to actually get some done today or else I'd be in the boss office needing to explain some things.

The number of emails grew intensely larger than I would have ever allowed it to get and the number seemed to double... no triple every few minutes.

So I cracked my knuckles, and I got to work.

~*~

"Come sit down everyone, it's time to start the meeting!" A blonde-haired woman shouted from the front of the church room. I followed suit, signing in and taking a seat somewhere near the middle. The host laughed with other people sitting closer to the front. The girls huddled together like it was their job to protect one another.

Maybe in this world that's what you needed? The civilian world was cruel, but there was nothing like a wife that felt she deserved to have her husband home more than any other on the same boat.

The wives began sitting down, and this meeting had a better turn out than some of the previous ones I'd been to. There was about 20 other spouses here.

"Welcome everyone to today's meeting, we are going to call this meeting to order at 7:03 pm, it's a wonderful Tuesday evening, and hopefully everyone had a good day at work." Some of the crowd rolled their eyes annoyed that this was so late into the evening. The newer spouses at at the edge of their seat thinking they were going to get some juicy piece of gossip that would help them decipher when their husband was going back out to sea.