○ Chapter 24 ○

It was exactly the moment I had been fearing all week

It was exactly the moment I had been fearing all week. Sunday morning, bright and early with Logan sitting at the dining room table. I sat across from him. I wasn't scared of him being here. Having him home was the greatest sense of comfort. But the news he shared with me was a devastating blow that I just wasn't ready for this morning even though I knew it was coming.

Logan was leaving with the boat.

We had to get through yet another deployment.

As the words left his mouth I wanted to burst into tears. Like a leaky pipe that someone put tape on and it was holding back way too much pressure.

But I just couldn't.

The tears had run dry this week. Between cancer and deployments I didn't have any more emotions to give.

"I promise you this will be my last deployment. They are going out so much earlier than expected and they just didn't have enough men to leave anyone behind. It's my duty to go " Logan would have to stay strong for the both of us at this moment. My world felt like it was shattering.

"Screw the military and screw your boat! We were supposed to be done with this!" I shouted, and my body found a whole new reserve of tears. The liquid crashed around my face, falling in massive rain drops onto the table.

I wasn't ready to not have Logan home. I wasn't ready to change my whole life all over again. It felt like he just got home last week. A crippling feeling weaved inside my rib cage, sucking all the life out of everything inside of me.

"Families should never be separated like this." I said in a much calmer voice between the convulsion of tears. Logan placed his hand on my back, pulling me into his chest. He allowed me to work through all the emotions, feeling every little detail I needed to.

This is what military spouses did.

We go through this cycle of our husband's leaving, our worlds being torn apart only for a few months later, they just get dropped back into our lives and we are supposed to move on as if nothing has happened.

That's not how it works though. This affects the kids. Oh God I hadn't even thought of the kids yet.

"What do we tell the kids?" My voice is hoarse, my throat dry, though the rest of my face was sulking every last drop out of me.

"What we always tell the kids." Logan was steady, his voice unwavering. He knew it was his job and what he signed up for. He didn't like devastating his family in this way, but it was truly his duty.

"No, this is not like all the other times. I've gotta go help Peter. I didn't want to have to do that on my own. You're supposed to be there."

"Ari, you are strong and so are the kids. We will figure this out. As for right now, until we have more information about where you are going and such we can just not tell them. Let them enjoy a little bit more time without this looming idea of their dad leaving."