○ Chapter 23 ○

The next Saturday was no different

 The next Saturday was no different. Logan once again had duty. It was a back-to-back weekend. Two six day work weeks in a row. The stress was wearing on him, and the time away from the kids was wearing on them.

To help the kids out with all the time they've been missing, I decided to take them to the park with Sandra. She had met us here a little after lunch with her two kids. They ran around and screamed, pushing each other on the swing sets and playing pirate on the pirate ship at the corner of the playground. They were having a blast, and it was the perfect distraction for them.

"So, how is it going?" Sandra asked, knowing I had rushed out of the office on Monday and hadn't been back to work since. She must have been so confused.

"I mean it's going, it seems like we keep getting punched in the gut and every day there's going to be another snippet of bad news." I took a sip of the coffee I had gotten on the way here. This week was very much a coffee week.

"I'm sorry to hear that. What's been going on?" Sandra watched the kids carefully, waiting to see if she needed to jump in at any time.

"Between Abby getting terminal cancer, the rumors of the boat leaving for a deployment in the next couple of weeks, and Marcus being sick all week. It's been a little rough."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, I think we need to break some of that down. I hadn't heard about any of that besides Marcus being sick. Work has been so lonely without you there, but from the sounds of it, that's not changing anytime soon." Sandra's hands were held up in front of her body as if she was trying to protect herself.

I shrugged.

"Yeah, probably not, but Logan's leave got denied and he can't even go to see his Brother and Abby to see how they are doing. We are stuck here until the boat figures out what they are doing. I'm so nervous they are going to take him out to sea and he wouldn't have been able to see Peter or Abby before he leaves. What if she dies while he is away?" I felt the words come barreling out of me, crashing around the both of us. Once the flood gate broke, there was no stopping the emotion spewing from the fountain now.

"Is that likely to happen?" Sandra stayed calm, taking in all of the information I was throwing at her. Her eyes very rarely left the kids.

"Well, the rumors say within the next couple of weeks, they could be gone again. We don't know if Logan would have to go on this one or not, since he is retiring soon. They only gave Abby a couple of months to live. If Logan leaves, he will be gone for a little over three months." I felt like I needed to emotionally prepare myself for this time in my life.

"Well, the timing of everything is so typical of the military. They want you to think that you are going to have a super simple time in the port time frame. They tell us that things will be rainbows and butterflies, but in all reality, they will do whatever they want. The more rumors I hear about it and the weirder Logan acts when he gets home from work, the more I'm trying to mentally prepare myself that he is going to have to head out one more time. Which feels so unfair. We were supposed to have him home. We were done with all of this stuff." I hadn't realized how long I had actually been talking until Sandra took a moment to make sure I was actually done before responding.