Ch 48

It clean now :3

Fawn's POV

"What's that?"

"Moo!"

"Yes, it is a cow, good job! Can you say cow, Hazel?"

"Cow!"

I smiled big after she said a very babiefied version of the word, but it was understandable enough to know she knew what she was saying.

Lilian had left a picture book in the baby bag and a note that let us know Hazel is currently learning her animals and the noises they make.

For a 9 month old, she talks pretty good...er...as good as a baby with one tooth can talk, I suppose.

After praising her for getting the animal correct, I turned the page.

There was a picture of a doe with pretty white spots, and I smiled before turning the book towards her.

"Do you know what this one is?" I asked her, tilting my head.

She looked long at the picture, her lips pursed out as if she was truly deep in thought. Then, with a bright smile she looked back to me.

"Oink!"

I stifled a giggle, shaking my head.

"No, silly goose, that's a piggy noise. Look real hard, give it another shot," I said, and her eyes went back to the picture.

The concentration on her face was intense, and I waited patiently for her to take another shot at it.

She tilted her head and looked back to me, "baa...?" She seemed to ask, sounding confused.

My expression softened and I shook my head.

"Nope, this one is a deer, Hazel, can you say "deer"?" I asked her, pointing to the picture.

"Eer!" She said, oh so confidently.

I chuckled, "close! Add the 'da' sound at the beginning...d-eer," I explained, and she looked at me for a moment.

"...eer!" She spouted again, and I pursed my lips.

"Y'know what...close enough," I closed the book and set it aside, reaching towards her, "it's getting late, little miss, why don't you and I go check and see what Al is cooking in the kitchen?" I suggested.

She smiled at me, and held onto the front of my shirt.

As we approached the kitchen, I could clearly hear Al singing along with the radio, and I smiled softer. Rounding the corner, the smell was wonderful and my mouth watered.

We approached silently behind him, and he didn't seem to notice us. I looked at Hazel, putting my finger to my lips as a 'shhh' motion.

She mimicked me, doing the same motion back.

Lifting my hand into a claw, I was about to taser him when he broke the song to address us.

"What are you two lovely ladies up to?" He hummed without even looking at us.

I deflated, looking over at Hazel and rolling my eyes. She matched my energy, putting on a pout.

"Oh nothin', just going over Hazel's picture book with her," I said, my lips lifting into a smile as I went and stood next to him. The aroma coming from the pan he was using was heavenly, and I took a deep breath.

"Mmm...what's on the menu tonight?" I asked him, watching him push around the colorful and sizzling ingredients.

"Sautéed peppers, steamed vegetables and baked chicken..." he turned towards us with a smile, focusing on Hazel, "for the adults, that is...for you, little darling, your momma left you some formula and baby food for you to eat...and those are ready whenever you feel hungry."