Ch 69

I literally just wanna go into the lore for Hattie because her and I have become well aquatinted over the last few days, but it'd probably be a chapters length in itself so...

For now, here's her official design😁

Alastor's POV

Once I parted with her, I tried my best not to let my anxiety spiral.

Literally anything could happen while I'm away...hell, the earth could open up and swallow her whole!

Briefly, I paused, having just entered the tree line. I peeked back, looking at my house that was a good distance away.

She was no longer outside, and the front door was shut.

Part of me was whispering to myself to go check all the locks, maybe even knock on the door to see if she would listen to me, or if she'd open it.

After a moment of thought, I shook my head and turned back towards my original path.

She's fine.

I'm just worrying, and worrying doesn't do anyone any good. It causes irrational choices, and I am a lot of things but irrational is not one of them.

As I made my way deeper into the forest, I stopped just a moment to look around. The leaves on the trees are browning slightly, letting me know that hunting season has officially set in.

Hunting season has actually been upon me for a while now, and normally I'd be out here the first day of the season but I've been a bit...preoccupied.

The middle of October crept up on me like the plague. Thank goodness I still have a couple of months before deer are out of season again.

As I walked through the peaceful terrain, my mind wondered back to Fawn.

My Fawn...

Just thinking about her has me smiling like an idiot, and I begin to feel a bit hot in my suit.

She's just so wonderful in every way...from her mossy gaze to her soft skin, I could worship her and only her forever.

And I fully intend to.

One day, that woman will be my wife.

Thinking about her has me missing her, and I'm suddenly cursing that I'm not back home with her, spending our Saturday curled up on the couch, or in bed.

But I had to shake those thoughts away. A hunter must stay focused on his game, no matter how delicious a distraction presents itself.

I will be back with her soon...I plan on this being a quick trip. I've seen plenty of deer lately, plenty of nicely aged buck roaming.

Suddenly, a distant gunshot rang out and I tsk'd, rolling my eyes.

Damn freeloaders...these other hunters walk the line when it comes to my property, always testing my limits.

I can't wait for the day one of them trespasses...oh, what fun that hunt will be.

Just then I heard a twig snap and I froze in place, my head snapping in the direction of the noise.

I was down on one knee immediately, aiming my gun towards where I heard the anomaly, scanning the area until...

Gotcha.

My smile widened and I steadied my aim along with my breathing, zeroing in on the buck that had wondered into the clearing with his doe.

His ear flicked, and he licked his nose as he surveyed the land.