After Shift

I slumped down on my favorite swivel chair and grabbed the controller that was on the table.

I took a deep breath as I cherish the moment. After doing work for 8 hours straight, "Deserve ko 'to." I said to myself.

I started playing and just after 5 minutes, the door opened and revealed a woman with her shoulders down. Dragging her feet as she walked towards me.

I paused the game and just looked at her. She sat on my lap, put her arms around my neck then buried her face on it.

"Uh are you okay, Love?"

"Hmm, just tired." she answered.

"And sleepy?"

She nodded as response.

"Okay, I'm going to lay you on the bed."

I didn't get a response so I took it as a go signal. I carried her with my one arm on her back and the other on her both legs.

I gently put her down on the bed and got another pillow and made her embraced it. I took a moment to look at her face.

I can see the eyebags. She's losing sleep these past days. I slight poked her chubby cheeks and she groaned.

I laughed silently. That's one of my favorite part of her aside from her eyes.

Then, I suddenly heard a baby crying that is coming from the another room.

"N-Nate." she mumbled on her sleep.

"Don't worry, I got him. Sleep, okay?" I said to her then placed a kiss on her forehead.

I hurriedly went out of the room and made my way to the other room.

I picked him up from his crib. He's quite red from the crying. His unfinished bottle laid beside him hence he's not hungry.

I decided to bring him to the balcony to have some fresh air while I try to make him fall asleep.

I took a good look at the healthy baby boy I'm holding.

"I know this is too early but, you have to grow strong and brave. Because the woman who is currently sleeping from the room across us, we need to protect her at all cost and I need your help." I started talking to him which made him stop crying.

"She has a really kind heart, you know? And some people tend to abuse that part of her. Sometimes, I think she's too good for this world. We're really lucky to have her our lives so in exchange, we have to give her the best love we can give."

I looked down on him, "Pinky promise?" he gripped my pinky with his one hand and looked into my eyes.

I giggled, "I really hope you understand that."

He finally fell asleep after 30 minutes. I quietly went back to his room and gently put him back on the crib.

I stepped out of the room and was able to look at our little home. The living and dining room was spotless. Thanks to my wife, of course.

It's almost 6pm so I thought to prepare dinner instead.

After cooking, I washed the dishes and while doing it, a pair of arms encircled my waist, hugging me from the back.

I smiled, "How's your sleep?" I asked without looking.

"Good. Why didn't you wake me?"

"I know you're tired." I answered.

"But so are you." she countered.

I sighed and turn around with her arms still on my waist, "I want to take care of you-- both of you. Kinda weird but, it sort of my stress reliever."

"Not video games?"

I smiled sheepishly, "Well, that too. But of course, priorities."

I cupped her cheeks, "With that said, if you're tired, don't hesitate to tell me. We're partners, remember? We'll help each other."

She nodded like a child. Yep, my wife can be adorable sometimes.

"I'll finish up here then we'll have dinner." I told her.

"Okay, I'll check Nate then."

"Sounds good." I said then when she was about to untangled from me, I stop her.

"Hep, kiss first."

She giggled then tilt her head sideways.

I planted a kiss on her cheeks and lips then let her go and continued doing the dishes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find it easy doing an angst/sad story instead of a happy one to be honest. But a special Siopao requested that I should do more happy stories so here 'ya go!

Thank you for reading!