Chapter 40

"Iza sweetie, mind taking me to the hospital please?" Anna said, glancing in her small calendar book. "Sure grandma. Another check up?" "Unfortunately yes. I'm already good, yet they still treat me like an egg." Hearing her grandmother's whining the girl only laughed at her softly. "It can't be helped. In your age it's normal to watch out, because now you're more delicate than earlier." "I know it. But I still hate it when they restrict me from doing many things I do on daily basis. But atleast I will be able to visit Annika and see how much she has improved from the last time. Oh, I would forget." As she said that, Anna went somewhere and took out from there two bags. "What are these grandma?" "This is a present for Annika. And here, are some knitted by me clothes for her younger sibling. Since I didn't get a chance to know the gender, I've decided to make them white and violet, so they would be neutral and good in both cases of the baby's gender." She then took out a violet hat for a baby, and a white sweater. "Wow, they look so adorable granny!" "If you like them already, then I can hope that her mother will also like them." "Well then, shall we get going?" Izabela said, taking in her hand her car keys. "Yes. Let's go."

...

"So, Mrs Steinberg. I will ask you a few questions and our check up will be over." "Of course, Doctor Hernandez." "Do you often go out to people? Spend time outside?" "Yes, I do." "Yhm. Is there someone that often persuades you to do it?" At this question Izabela looked at her grandma with smug look, while the woman smiled awkwardly and nodded. Seeing this the female doctor also smiled, visibly happy by the progress. "So I assume that you have started to be more open to people? That's good to know. I can see that all of the results that came are in norm." The woman said to herself, scribbling something on the papers. "Alright. Today I won't be prescribing you any medication seeing that everything is fine. Just remember to take what you already are taking and in case something was wrong, immediately come and make an appointment, okay?" "Yes, I will. Goodbye miss doctor. Have a nice day."

After saying their goodbyes, Izabela and her grandma left the room and entered one of the hospital corridors. "I'm so happy that Annika will be a big sister soon." Said Anna cheerfully. Izabela smiled at this, but deep down she felt sad, since the memory of her pregnant mother's death still lingered somewhere in her mind. "Hey grandma? Don't you think that her parents actually decided to have another baby mainly for its umbilical cord blood?" At this question Anna thought for a while. "Hmm, I guess they probably did. Why, is something the matter?" "Well, I just wonder how really does Annika's cancer progress. I just have my doubts because she said that she is improving, but also at the same time her mother has gotten pregnant. I might be overthinking, but-" "Iza." Anna said, with a strict tone. "I understand that you're concerned about them. But you should be the one to not make assumptions based on the current situation. Yes, it's surprising that her mom got pregnant while Annika is currently sick. But this doesn't mean she only got pregnant to save her other child. I'm sure that knowing how badly her daughter wanted a sister or brother, she decided to grant that wish for her." She said slightly agitated by her granddaughter's words. Izabela then felt embarrassed and stupid to say something like this out loud. "... Maybe you're right." "Not maybe but definitely. Now let's stop with this topic for now, since we're close to her room."

Just like she said, they both went around the corner and were met with one of many typical hospital rooms. They knocked on the door and after receiving a word of confirmation, entered inside. As the child saw them both, she immediately recognized them and despite the doctor's words of not getting up from the bed, she jumped out of it and ran in their direction. "Granny!" "Hi sweetie! How do you do?" Anna said, opening her arms so the girl could jump into her embrace. "Better, but I still have to take those nasty pills. What about you granny? Do you feel better now?" The girl asked with pure, childish concern. "Don't worry. I'm actually good, because I've been discharged from hospital some time ago." That's great granny. Hey Big Sis, can I ask you a question?" The girl said, pointing her attention to Izabela. "Ask me anything you want, Ani." She replied with a smile. "How is Big Sis Becky? Is the baby okay?" "Of course they are." "Then-" "You still have to wait a bit longer, Ani."