Chapter 68

"Ugh." Izabela groaned, sitting up. She didn't feel any pain anywhere, except for her head. The pain has subsided, but not completely. She then looked around and noticed Akira sitting at the chair next to her bed, worry visible on his face. When he noticed her eyelids open, he exhaled in relief. "Hey." She said, reaching out her hand to pat at his face. He didn't deny it and allowed her to caress his cheek. "You gave me quite a scare there. How come you came face to face with the King?" He asked, giving her a glass of water she previously asked him for.

"I don't know Akira. I was headed towards your place when he appeared out of nowhere." "Out of nowhere?" "Uhm, not exactly. I was in a hurry and didn't notice him before bumping into him. But heck, he's enormous! How come the guy is so darn big?" At her remark the tiger beastman chuckled slightly. "That nobody knows. That's the albino beast for you. They always remain hidden, or atleast did for the previous centuries. That's why they can be full of surprises when you meet them." "Who are they? The albino beasts?" She asked, interested in the topic. Whether it was a fairy tale, fact or legend, she had to always learn as much as she could about unique things and creatures.

"You see, beastmen as society need someone stronger, but at the same time more composed to manage them. Albino beastmen and beastwomen used to be a fairy tale, about beasts that held greater strength and abilities than even the oldest of beasts. They always used to be a symbol of peace between humans and beasts, as despite them being born beastmen, only certain women could give birth to them." While explaining it, the man started drawing something on his notebook. "These women weren't beasts. But despite their humane bodies they were unique for giving birth to our Kings and Queens, while at the same time being considered empresses of the beasts."

"Empresses?" "Yes. Since they were humane, they were taken more seriously by human politicians, nobility and royalty. But to us beasts, they weren't just tools for bearing our leaders. Women in beastly society are considered equals to men, because we men tend to be sometimes more..." "Humourous?" "Yes, that would fit best here. Humourous due to our animalistic natures. Women on the other hand tend to have a little better grasp of it. That's what makes us different from humans. While humans throughout most of the history tended to follow the patriarchal system, we actually prefer for the highest positioned to be a woman." And he then showed her the drawing he made.

"See? Although the oldest of beasts are relatively high, the second highest ones are albino beasts, also called by us Kings and Queens. And even though empresses aren't as physically strong as beastmen are, they hold all of the beasts in their grasp. Beasts always respect them for them being a symbol of peace. Regardless if these are the albino or normal beasts, empress' words and will are absolute to everyone." "Then who are those in the middle, between albino beasts and oldest beasts?" She asked, pointing to the drawing of his semi hierarchy. And at this Akira looked too. "These are the empresses' mates. You see, an albino beast come from an empress and her beastly male mate. That's why before the albino beast reaches their adulthood, the empress' mate is like a temporary King."

Looking at the drawing and listening to Akira's explanation, Izabela couldn't stop wondering how unique the hierarchy was between beastmen. "So, any questions about it all?" "Yes. Do you know who is or are the empresses?" She asked, wondering who is the one in charge of handling all beasts in check. But Akira didn't seem as enthusiastic as she was about it. "... There is no empress now my love." He finally answered, his ears flat against his head. Izabela's happy grin turned to confusion. "What do you mean Akira? Why do you claim there is no empress?" And then she heard him breathe heavily.

"... Because-... The last empress' death was the beginning of human-beast conflict." Izabela's eyes widened more in shock. "Atleast that's what everyone says. Since there is a King, walking among us and even talking with us, this means that there must've been an empress to have birthed him." "What if it wasn't an empress who gave birth to him? Maybe he is a direct, latest descendant of an empress, who was born from normal human or beast woman?" "Here biology doesn't play role Iza. Only empresses can give birth to albino beasts. They are the chosen ones, whose bodies can give birth to Kings and Queens. It is... Impossible to be otherwise."