Chapter 64

"Aaaargh, dammit!" Audrey cursed, nearly smashing her phone at the closest wall after trying once again to dial Alice. But once again, the only thing she heard, was the voicemail talk repeating itself. After the incident in the hospital, Alice started to avoid her too. And this hurt Audrey, as she saw how hurt Alice was back then in the hospital and how she rushed out of the hospital. "I swear that little bitch will pay for this!" She started calling the nurse many more names, venting on and on about how she hates that woman. A moment later, she fell down on her bed and sighed. "What the hell's wrong Ali? What did I do to make you this upset?"

A silent treatment wasn't something her girlfriend ever used on her. She was rather used to her stomping on the floor and even going feral sometimes, which she each time found cute. Holding the engagement ring she gave Alice before in her hand, she stared at it, trying to comprehend the issue behind her behavior. But then she remembered something else. A small detail, yet so important. Before everything, Alice and Izabela were in the hospital's hallway, talking. And after that conversation, Alice seemed to be even more mortified than sad. "... Maybe I should ask that moron for her number?" She thought, looking through her contacts and finding the right number.

"Hello?" She heard from the other side. "Mike?" "What's up, kiddo?" "Don't call me kiddo." "No." "Why? Each damn time we're in public, you call me kiddo! That's annoying!" "You call me moron, I call you kiddo for acting up. Remember that we might have different-" "Yeah, yeah. But we got the same mom that always embarrassed us at any moment possible and made sure that we won't speak anything ill about her." "Exactly. So, did you finally manage to call Alice?" "No, she won't pick up the phone." "Then what brings you to call your smart brother?" "Your girlfriend's number. Can you send it to me?" "What do you need it for?" "I want to ask her a few things. Will you give it to me?" "Alright, I'll message you. Just don't do any jumpscary pranks on her, or else I'll tell mom what did you put that day in her coffee." "Dammit relax! Mom's gonna kill me for it! And why so protective of her? She will die from heart attack or what?"

"She's like mom when it comes to pranks. And remember that I'll be the one in trouble." "Man alright! Atleast your love life is easier than mine." She said, forgetting something that he told her about previously. "... Unlike me you don't need to compete with another guy for one girl." Audrey remembered what the situation looked like and right away felt bad for saying this. She then heard her brother sigh. "I'll message it to you on WhatsApp. And act like a decent human being." "You forgot that I'm your sister that you keep mistaking me for an animal?" "No. But when you're on your heat free period, you become more edgy and want to kill anybody who barely musters a word to you." "... Fuck you." "Love you too, kiddo."

...

Today at facility was quite hectic. There weren't many teachers to take care of kids, which meant Izabela and the only remaining one other man were in charge of group of nearly forty kids by themselves. Some of the kids behaved well and simply drew something or played quietly. But except for them, there was also a big group of the more lively ones, who wanted to go outside and play in snow. Izabela and the other teacher couldn't do it though, as it was quite cold and taking care of such big group of kids would be a challenge.

"Oh man." Izabela whined, slowly feeling burned out after spending only a few hours with them. She loved these kids with all her heart, but she couldn't keep up with them. Their stamina was way too impressive for her liking. When she looked in direction of the doorway, she noticed Jessica standing there and looking at them. "Could you help us a bit?" Iza asked, while one of the kids started to tug at her arm and the other at her sweatpants. Jessica only looked at her and returned her gaze back to her phone. "You're doing fine with Justin." "Please? Just for a moment? I need to use bathroom real quick. I won't be gone for long."