Scene 2 - Black Void

We cut to see the TARDIS interior. The Doctor operates the TARDIS console meticulously. At this point, the Doctor attempts to return Tegan back to Heathrow so she can catch her flight. She waits by the wall of the console. Nyssa is being taught by the Doctor the controls of his TARDIS. Adric is not yet present in the console room. We get a voiceover of the Doctor narrating the story and the boy asking questions.

Doctor:

Mr Smith had acquired his friends through his various travels across the universe. He fully intended to return Tegan back to her own time and place after she stumbled into the ship accidentally. Mr Smith, in the meantime, attempted to teach Nyssa about his TARDIS, whose home planet had been destroyed and her only home was aboard the ship. The same was said for Adric.

We see Adric enter the console room.

Adric was stranded from his civilisation which was stranded in a parallel universe.

Jasper:

When did all this happen?

Doctor:

At some point in his past, I take it. Or was it his future? The trouble with time travel is that keeping up with events is difficult to keep track of. Mr Smith, at this stage, felt he was able to return Tegan home to her respective place in time and space.

The action cuts to the conversation within the TARDIS.

Tegan:

Arriving soon?

Doctor:

Yes. Nyssa has quite got the hang of the TARDIS I think.

Nyssa has set the coordinates and the TARDIS' centre column rises up and down in flight.

Nyssa:

There. Coordinates set for Heathrow, Earth, the Solar System in 1981. At precisely a point in time that will allow you time to reach your appointment, Tegan.

Adric:

I still don't see why you let the girls do it, Doctor.

Doctor:

Nyssa needs to learn too. She might make for a better pilot than you, you know Adric.

Tegan smirks.

Adric:

Well, she doesn't have my expertise of mathematical excellence.

Nyssa opens the scanner towards the right hand side of the screen. It opens to reveal a black screen.

Nyssa:

Doctor. Look at the scanner.

They turn to see the blackness behind them.

Doctor:

Ah. Oh. That's odd. Very odd indeed. That should be the spiral geometry of the time vortex.

The Doctor then takes a look at the console himself.

Nyssa:

Did I do something wrong?

Doctor:

I don't see how you could.

Adric:

See, this is why you don't let the girls handle the TARDIS because they get it all wrong. Firstly you don't open the scanner in flight, and now you've probably broken it.

Tegan:

Well why wouldn't you open the scanner to see where we are? Whether we're in flight or arrived someplace?