Scene 5 - Merely An Observer

The boy keeps huddling to himself in the corner. There is a knock on the door. The Toymaker is outside and creepily calls from outside.

Celestial Toymaker:

Shaun? Shaun?

Shaun decides to get up and open his door. The Toymaker is outside with the bag of toys inside. The boy wipes his tears.

You've been most unhappy, dear boy. Why don't you play with these new toys to make you feel happier? These are some very pleasant figures we have brought for you.

The boy snatches the bag and goes through the toys. The Toymaker doesn't raise to the boy's rude attitude. Shaun knows exactly where the figures should go in his collection and begins to display them where they should stand in the Doctor's timeline. The Toymaker stands outside the room, admiring the collection of toys and notices the mess of toys in the room. Shaun then begins to clean them up too.

You have a most impressive collection of toys here. I am most impressed. Your super will be served soon, so enjoy the time of carefully and accurately placing the toys where they should go. You find that it is just as fun as playing with them. Time, as they say, does fly when you are having fun. I see the Cybermen have been involved in a skirmish in your play game to see them so scattered across your room. They are all yours for you to enjoy. And make the most of the play time as you can.

The mother calls for her son.

Margret:

Shaun! Super's ready!

The boy ignores his mother again.

Celestial Toymaker:

Shaun? Did you hear what your mother said?

Shaun continually ignores the adults.

Come along now, Shaun.

Shaun:

No!

Celestial Toymaker:

You have nearly finished putting the toys all away. You can continue playing with them later, before your super gets cold. Yes?

The boy sulks. He then heads downstairs to get his super. The Toymaker is left alone in Shaun's bedroom, admiring the bedroom of the boy and his impressive toys. The figures have all been returned to their place. The four versions of the Fifth Doctor are together at the front of the collection. The Fifth Doctor who came from Kembel is the main source of focus for the Toymaker. He begins speaking to that iteration of the Doctor.

You make a stupendous action figure, Doctor. All of you. In your many alterations of each of your various personas.

That version of the Fifth Doctor is trying to break free from his frozen stature. He can hardly move, and can only just move his face, but struggles.

Doctor:

What is this? What have you done?

Celestial Toymaker:

Well, what I have merely done is created a whole collection of replicas of your entire life by using the genuine article. I have gone back through your timeline, and sourced out the many versions of yourself, your companions, and your enemies, and placed them here in the collection.

Doctor:

That would take a phenomenal amount of power. Even for you to muster up.

Celestial Toymaker:

But not impossible, even for me to muster up. You know how greatly I admire your character, Doctor. Your integrity, your intelligence, your wit. And the adventure and wisdom you experience and seek out. I am more than capable of destroying you. Or bending the fabric of your very existence. But turning you into playthings of mine for children to enjoy in their little games I find a more satisfying conclusion for my passion.

Doctor:

Well, I'm flattered. And once again, I am most impressed with what you've achieved here in your new realm. But do you think you have gone a little too far?

Celestial Toymaker:

Not by any means, Doctor. As we both ancient beings know, we have seen all things from the universe. The good, the bad, the beautiful, the horror, the corrupt, and the evolution of time. Oh, the imaginings we have seen. What better way to use the imagination of such children to encapsulate you here?

Doctor:

Of course. In a child's mind, anything is possible. Magic, fantasy, and superstition. So, you've taken an innocent child's mind and turned the world they see into a reality.

Celestial Toymaker:

Such as Grizzly Bear here. Given its own life essence, and reality, it was able to bring you and everything else before you here so I can create the world the boy dreams of. Imagination and thought are powerful, Doctor. For mine, and that of a child. Now immortal as I am. And so are you. Forever. Albeit a little restricted. But immortal we are as one.

Doctor:

And so you took an innocent child and his whole life and used it to create a world of existence for him.

Celestial Toymaker:

Precisely. Not necessarily just an innocent child, but a child unsatisfied with their accomplishments and the world he lives in. Shaun Splint is the perfect case study I have selected. I took the world around him and have repopulated it around him. The characteristics and appearance remain intact. Shaun now lives in the world that he wants, and I shall give him whatever he desires.

Doctor:

Now I can see where the animated Grizzly Bear legend comes from. I must say I could offer a slight improvement by removing the traces of residual energy given off from your teleport.

Celestial Toymaker:

I do not need advice from you on how the boy wants his toys.

Doctor:

Now that the boy has everything he wants that you can give him, where do you fit into things now?

Celestial Toymaker:

I now sit as a humble observer of the boy's activities. That is where my pleasure lies in your case. To see the imagination of a child, with a huge collection of monsters and aliens, to create such wonderful new adventures. To encounter new and terrifying creatures and to see how the great and all-knowing hero overpowers his enemies. He has taken a great liking to you, and your exploits. Just as well it seems. So I give him more.

Doctor:

Your power is not totally full-proof. I am still able to talk to you. And I can still move.

Celestial Toymaker:

Eventually, you will succumb to it. The rest of you did. Now, your flesh and bodily organs are nothing more than wood and plastic.

Doctor:

I will never surrender to you, Toymaker! Never!

Celestial Toymaker:

We shall see, Doctor. We shall see.

The Toymaker begins leaving the room.

Doctor:

You won't be able to control him! You keep giving in to what he wants, he will always want more and more. Shaun will never be satisfied with what he's got.

Celestial Toymaker:

As long as he remains happy, I shall give him what he wants. Relax your muscles now, Doctor. Let the plastic that now takes hold of you firmly keep you in your place. So, when in your playtime he throws you about and damages you, you will feel the pain less. Goodbye, Doctor. Happy playtimes.

The Toymaker leaves. The Doctor tries to move his muscles, raising his arms and trying to move his legs. The Doctor that arrived from Mira is also trying to move his muscles, attempting to break free from the Toymaker's curse over them...