Scene 6 - Chips

We see the Splint family together at the table, eating uncomfortably with one another. The family were unhappy with each other's awkward presence. The prepared table serves a plate of boiled potatoes, chicken in breadcrumbs, a glass bowl of peas with a spoon, and crinkle chips. The family remain in silence as they eat. Glee sits to the right of the table, with the mother facing us, and the boy to the left of the screen. They drink from their glass cups of orange squash. The mother and father tuck into the chicken, potatoes, peas, and chips. The boy only has a few of the crinkle-cut chips on his plate and nothing else. Shaun dips his head down, sulking.

Glee:

Aren't you going to have any of your dinner there, Shaun? The food will start to get cold shortly.

The boy mumbles something under his breath.

Margret:

Do you not like the chips?

Glee:

Chips are your favourite, Shaun. You always said that chicken and your chips were your favourite meal on Thursdays.

Shaun responds quietly and unhappily.

Shaun:

I don't like them.

Glee:

Don't like what?

Shaun:

The chips. They're not what I want.

Margret:

Oh. I know. They're not his usual fries that we have. Look Shaun, unfortunately when mummy went shopping this week the supermarket didn't have any of the fries in stock. So we had to get these crinkle-cut chips instead.

Glee:

Shaun, if you don't like the chips, why don't you just have the chicken and peas and potatoes instead?

Shaun:

I don't want them. I want the chips to be the fries so I can have them first. Then I have the rest to eat.

Margret:

He begins by having the fries, then has his peas, chicken, then potatoes. Look dear, I'm sure the crinkle-cut chips are just as tasty as the fries. Why don't you at least give them a try? You might prefer them over the fries.

Shaun:

No!

Glee:

Well Shaun, there aren't any other chips we can give you. As your mother said, they had none of the chips you usually have. So as a one-off, she has bought these.

Shaun:

Well why can't you go somewhere else and get them?

Margret:

Your father works very hard so we can afford such lovely food. Now, let's hear no more about it. Eat your food up and give thanks to your father.

Shaun throws his food onto the table in a tantrum.

Shaun:

I WANT MY CHIPS! I DON'T WANT ANYTHING ELSE, JUST MY CHIPS!

Margret:

Oh honey. Maybe we can go and look tomorrow to see if there are any more in the shops for next dinner time.

Shaun:

I DON'T WANT THEM TOMORROW! I WANT THEM NOW! NOW! YOU STILL DON'T GIVE ME WHAT I WANT! YOU HAVE NEVER GIVEN ME WHAT I WANT, AND YOU WILL NEVER GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!

The boy screams and runs out of the room. Both parents turn to each other, bearing a terrible shame, partly from bad parenting...