Part 62 - First Try

"Can you come with me for a moment?" Tony asks me.

"Sure" I agree and follow him downstairs to the lab.

At first I'm not so sure about what he's doing since he doesn't say anything and just lets me observe him typing on a screen. He places me at one specific spot in the lab and then takes a few steps back.

"Don't panic and stay still" he says and presses one final button on the screen.

"What are you talking-" I start to question but I stop once the floor around me disappears.

The familiar machines that usually helped Tony to suit up in the past are now working on me and suiting me up. There's literally an Iron Man suit around me, in the exact color Tony asked me to pick a few days ago. I'm making weird movements as the machines place the last of the pieces on my body and once it's done they all disappear and I'm left alone again.

"Tony, what is this?" I ask and stretch my arms to look at the armor.

"It's my wedding present, I've been working on this for a long time now" he smiles and slowly comes towards me.

"I-I don't know what to say. Thank you" I'm still confused.

"Why do I need one of those? I can't fight and I definitely can't use it. I actually think I'm dangerous right now, I could accidentally fire at something or even worse I could fire at you" I ramble.

"I can defend myself, don't worry" he chuckles.

"Also, it's not armed yet for obvious reasons" he continues.

"It's just for your own protection in case I'm not around or in case I mess up and can't defend you. I feel better knowing you have some sort of protection around" he says nicely.

"Thank you, baby. I just-I don't know if I can do what you do. I can barely move in this, it's so heavy" I lift my hands to show him what I mean.

"You won't do what I do, you'll just defend yourself. I'll teach you the basics day after day" he replies.

"You'll make me Iron Woman?" I chuckle.

"No, I was thinking something different. Something like rescue" he smiles.

"I love it" I smile widely too.

"Let's start with the flying" he suggests.

"That sounds like the most difficult thing to start with" I say.

"The most difficult is the targeting once you actually have firearms on you. For now I'd say the most difficult will be the landing" he explains.

"I'm scared" I laugh nervously.

"Don't be, I'm here to help you out" he replies and quickly suits up.

"Follow my lead" he says and gets a few centimeters higher from the floor.

"How do I do that?" I ask.

"Look at your screen and you'll see what buttons to press and when" he says nicely.

I look around and indeed the instructions are very clear. I inhale and exhale deeply before making the first attempt and seconds later I feel myself leaving the floor.

"Oh my God" my voice is loud and shaking.

"You're doing great, now try flying forward" he says and carefully stays still behind me.

I look at the path I'm supposed to follow and use the arms and legs to help me achieve that. It's not the easiest thing to do keeping my balance and not falling but I'm doing okay for now. But as I get a little more tired from all the weight I feel myself leaning towards my left where the cars are.