CH 45: Acceptance Letter || Family Matters (March 6-7, 2124)

TW: This contains mentions and reference of a failed suicide attempt! Nothing graphic is described, though. Reader discretion is advised!

********************************************************************************************

The chorus of "Hot N Cold" by Katy Perry blares from my pocket, and I straighten my jacket as I feel everyone on the train staring at me. I pull out my phone and click the green button as I put it to my ear.

"What's up, Sho?" I yawn before immediately getting my ear blasted.

"TOYA! TOYA! TOYA! IT CAME IN! IT CAME IN! GET HERE FASTER!" Shoto screams through the speaker, and I wince, slightly pulling the phone away from my ear.

"Okay, okay. I'm on my way. I had to take the train since my Corvette's in the shop. It's the next stop," I explain, staring up at the map on the side of the train.

"OKAY! OKAY! OKAY!" Shoto shouts excitedly before hanging up. A smile spreads across my face as my phone buzzes in my hand before I can put it away.

Hitoshi Shinso: Thank you for everything. Attachment: Image

I click on the message and see a picture of a projection of All Might giving a thumbs up next to a General Studies sign. My eyebrows furrow as I chew my bottom lip. I still think it's fucking stupid that Eraser and Present Mic won't let him into the Hero Course. Hell, I'd tried to sneak recommendations in, but Aizawa intercepted all of them. I'd written page after page on why Hitoshi deserved to be a hero as much as my little brother did. I wrote about how he would change the name and reputation of "Villain Quirks", and how he would eliminate stereotypes and be a shining symbol for countless kids with the same issues. I wrote about how Shinso struggled with bullying, and how I took him under my wing and showed him that he gets to decide what his Quirk represents. He gets to decide what his Quirk truly means through his actions. At one point, I started writing blanket threats, but all of those drafts went into the trash when Keigo proofread them. I start typing:

So proud of you, dude! Knew you'd get in

I shove my phone back into my pocket as the train slows to a stop, and I crack my knuckles, preparing to sprint all the way home. Our neighborhood was about a five-minute walk from the train station. As soon as the doors open, I dart out of the car, mumbling apologies as I weave in and out of the crowds, frantically rushing home.

...

I struggle for a few seconds to jam the key into the front door of the Todoroki household in my excitement. As soon as I step through the door, Shoto tackles me. He's my height now, and it's the weirdest thing ever. I grunt as I almost hit my head on the door when I stumble backward, struggling to keep my balance.

"Geez, Sho. Chill out. You're not ten anymore," I laugh under my breath as I wrap an arm around his neck and grind my fist into his hair.

"Thank you so much for coming, Toya. It really means a lot to me," Shoto beams as he weasels out of my grip. He holds the envelope up to me.

"You haven't opened it yet?" I raise my eyebrow, and he aggressively shakes his head. Fuyumi pokes her head out into the hallway from the living room, and her eyes light up when she sees me.

"Mom! Nats! Toya's here!" She calls before running down the hallway toward me. Shoto moves out of the way, and I sprint toward my sister, meeting her halfway before sweeping her off her feet into a hug and spinning around.

"How's my favorite elementary school teacher?" I tease as I set her back down on her feet.

"Fourth graders are a lot to handle, but I love it! How's Keigo? Is he doing better since the accident?" Fuyumi asks, her eyes full of concern. I brush a strand of hair out of her face as it falls in front of her glasses.