Chapter 63: Please Let This Be A Normal Field Trip (August 9, 2124)

Author's Note: The first chapter of 2023! Happy New Year everybody! I love you guys so much and I hope to finish PHOENIX by this upcoming May! Thank you all for being so invested in this story, and I'm so excited for what I have to bring to the table for this year! Enjoy!

**********************************************************************************

"And you're sure I'm not allowed to flirt with them?" Toga whines into the earpiece, and I roll my eyes so hard I'm surprised they don't roll back into my head. I flip through the cameras on the enormous wall of monitors in the conference room. The Commission gave us access to state-of-the-art security equipment; this way, I could keep tabs on Toga at all times. They'd completely transformed our massive conference room floor into their own form of surveillance. We were going to have to completely disassemble it and gut the floor for any sort of cameras or bugs once the assimilation program ended.

Class 1-A and 1-B successfully made it to the Wild, Wild, Pussycats' forest training camp yesterday, and Toga has been tasked with providing extra security. Thankfully, they gave me access to cameras placed throughout the campgrounds, so, even if Toga's bodycam was somehow disabled, I would still be able to have a visual on her.

"The Commission wanted you to help the Wild, Wild Pussycats with security for the students. Ever since the U.S.J. Attack, UA's principal and staff have been on high alert for villains. Your job is to keep them safe...this includes my little brother. So you better not fuck up," I explain, my tone turning dark, but Toga just laughs.

"Don't worry your silly little face, Third-Degree. Everything will be fine. Buuuut your brother is hanging out with this really cute boy! I wanna say something to him, but there's also this sweet girl I've got my eyes on! I can't decide who to talk to first!" Toga babbles excitedly, and I slump back in my chair, dragging a hand across my face. Toga had already been introduced to the students and staff. She'd been shadowing at UA over the past few days so that she could learn protocols and potentially befriend some students. Because the shadowing wasn't an official mission, I hadn't really paid attention while I was "watching over her". I figured it would be better to let her off the leash while she was in a facility surrounded by Pros.

"Socializing time is over, Lilith. You're there to keep them safe," I mutter flatly before adding, "How's that new costume holding up? You like your suit?"

Toga had spent the past week working with Burnin' on a new suit design with our Support experts. Luckily, everything had been brought to fruition before her first big mission. Her outfit was pretty simple. She wore a black catsuit specifically designed with pores so that, upon using her Quirk, the shapeshifting substance that oozes out of her skin can be layered on top. In other words, it sticks to the skin-tight suit so that she doesn't have to disrobe every time. Nonetheless, Toga didn't want to just strut around in the altered Spandex, so she added a red leather trench coat akin to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", as well as a pair of blood-red Doc Martens. Concealed within her trench coat, she kept vials of blood from consensual donors (partially obtained from contacts in the Commission and partially from yours truly), various knives and daggers, and a med kit. To add her own personal touch, Lilith sports a black satin choker, complete with spikes and a cherry red heart in the center. Abandoning her loose space buns, Toga's wearing her hair down.

"Fits nice. Still miss my cute Vigilante outfit, though. No more skirts and cardigans for me," She sighs dramatically, and I shake my head.

"Just stick to your post and keep an eye on the students," I yawn, feeling my eyelids droop. I hadn't slept in the past twenty-four hours, which I hadn't done since graduation. I was up all night working with Toga and all the paperwork to clear her for the trip.