Chapter 49: UA Sports Festival (May 3, 2124)

Warning! Past suicide attempt mentioned!

**************************************************************************************

This stupid concessions line was a million years long. First of all, it took us forever to get into the stadium. Growing up, I'd watched the UA Sports Fest every year. Hell, we'd have watch parties for it at the Private Hero Training Academy. However, I'd never actually attended it in person before. The two of us had answered an emergency backup call from some low-level Pros last night and hadn't gotten home until sunrise. We figured we'd just eat when we got there in the morning instead of having to wake up earlier for breakfast. Boy, were we wrong.

"I just want my tendies! Is that too much to ask?!" Keigo gripes beside me. Rumi and Ryuko beat us here and supposedly had pretty good seats for us saved in the stands. Unfortunately, we'd already missed the Obstacle Race and the Cavalry Battle. To my relief, Shinso and Shoto had made it to the third event; we could see the broadcast on the overhead monitors above the concessions. Kei had taken a particular interest in one of Shoto's classmates: Fumikage Tokoyami. Not only was he part bird, but he was quite skilled with his powerful Quirk.

"Kei, I am thiiiis close to just finding you a chicken and roasting it myself. I can't miss the third event. They probably already think I didn't show," I gripe, impatiently tapping my foot as the line slowly moves closer. There's just two more people left before our turn in line. They're taking a noonday break, so we have some time before the tournament begins.

"Have you even picked out what you want, yet? Or are you too nervous to eat something?" Keigo asks, digging for his wallet in his coat pocket as the person in front of us approaches the cashier.

"If you get extra tenders I'll probably just eat half of one and get a Monster. I'm too exhausted and nervous," I yawn, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"Sir, I'm gonna need to see some ID."

I practically jump as I feel a hand smack me on the back, and I turn to see Shinji and Yu snickering, brandishing security badges. My eyes narrow.

"You two seem rather chipper," I mutter sarcastically, and Shinji raises his eyebrow.

"You alright, Todoroki?" He asks while Yu rolls her eyes.

"Yeah, sorry, Nishiya. Didn't get much sleep last night. What's with the badges?" I huff, crossing my arms as Keigo steps up and begins ordering our food, too excited about the chicken to pay attention to our former classmates. I step out of the line to talk to Yu and Shinji.

"Oh, UA hired us and Death Arms as extra security for the Festival. Y'know, since that villain attack, they've been super careful and on edge about everything," Shinji explains, straightening his badge so it rests dead center.

'Oh, yeah. And Shinji is the only reliable one out of all three of the ones they hired. Great choices, Nezu,' I think to myself. Death Arms was notorious for his inability to take criticism. Hell, Kei and I had watched him scold a kid for saving someone on TV; meanwhile, the low-level Pro had simply stood by and watched. Yu was...Yu.

"Hey, guys! I didn't see ya!" Keigo's gentle voice pierces the air as he skips to my side with a bucket full of tenders; he tears one in half from his bucket and hands it to me along with my Monster.

"ATTENTION! THE BATTLE TOURNAMENT WILL BEGIN IN APPROXIMATELY FIVE MINUTES! PLEASE! TAKE YOUR SEATS!" Present Mic's familiar voice screeches through the loudspeaker system.

"You two better hurry and get in there! These kids aren't messing around this year," Shinji smirks before leaving with Yu to patrol the booths.

...