002.

U AND I.
(   CHAPTER TWO )
TWO WORDS, UPTOWN RECORDS.

' 𝐓𝐔𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟗, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟏

' 𝐓𝐔𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟗, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟏. '
uptown records headquarters ━━━ new york, new york !

"MILANI, I CAN GUARANTEE you that you'll make it far with us at Uptown. That voice you have within you is like no other we've heard before. Signing with us will help the world see how far and great you can be." The man's words echoed throughout Milani's head as she held hesitantly onto the black pen. Her eyes were roaming over the staples of papers that were soon to be Milani's contract.

Here she was, a little over a week later — in the office of Andre Harrell with Sean Combs sitting beside him. After the long night talk with Tupac, she discussed the matter over with her parents, and they bought a plane ticket for the following week.

Uptown Records, which was under the distribution of MCA Records in California, were one of the hottest and successful record companies in the music industry. The label contained the most successful and talent black artists such as Heavy D & The Boyz, Al B. Sure!, Guy, who's a member and record producer Teddy Riley brought themselves and the label a new sound, new jack swing and artist Father MC.

The previous beheld truth of her not being able to come across a record deal or even a record company like this crossed her mind. She sincerely wanted to sign away and start her new life as being an entertainer but she was borderline scared of the outcome. The thoughts of being judged and being thrown out the music business ran entirely through her mind. It happened all before with past artists.

What if people didn't like her? What if they didn't like how she sung, or danced or even liked her music in general? She thought.

"The fuck you mean not yet? I KNOW you're not about to pass up on getting a record deal? This is all you've ever dreamed about, Lani. Ever since you won that talent show in '80, remember?"

"And if you're scared of being judged, so fuckin' what. They're haters for a reason, soon enough people are gonna be begging to be THE Milani Haynes."

"Milani?" Andre called out, Milani was quick to knock from out of her thoughts. Her eyes were met with Andre and Sean who had their full and undivided attention towards her as they awaited for her to sign. She cleared her throat, signing her signature before handing it back to Andre.

However, before Andre was about to place the contract away, Sean stopped him. "Now before we officially put this contract away, are you sure you're ready for this kind of change? Because it's going to be a big change, nothing of a little minor change either. We feel you've got it physically under that thick skin you carry, but mentally. Mentally, are you prepared?" Milani eyes furrowed at what he was insinuating, not coming all the full terms of what he was going on about.