Chapter 2

65 days before

65 days before

Irene's POV:

She skillfully moved her hands up and down; the soft dough smoothly touching her fingers. The consistence was almost perfect. Not to sticky but also not liquid.

With her left hand she grabbed the salt and added a pinch of it to the dough.

"How do I know when I should add it?", the petite girl to her right asked shyly. Irene smiled and moved aside.

"There is no exact point. You need to feel the consistence to know when it's time." She took the hand of the girl and placed it on the soft dough which was laying on the metal table. Irene could see her hand trembling a bit.

"Can you feel the softness?"

"Hm", Mina answered and nodded slightly.

"There is no pressure. Just try it and you'll find out." As Mina wasn't moving, Irene pushed the girl to one of the working benches. The kitchen got three of them, on next to the door, one on a little island in the middle and one next to the freezer.

"A bowl, all-purpose flour, eggs and salt." Irene handed out the large metal bowl to the insecure looking girl and smiled. "It's your first time here. Don't worry." She patted Mina's shoulder and smiled once again.

Today's food schedule was noodles with tomato sauce. And since she got assigned to be in the kitchen for the four months, she had to manage everything. Overall, harvest festival would be next weekend, so the school decided to just use products of the botanic garden and the nearby farm.

All in all: They had to make the noodle dough by themselves. Irene was glad to be in the kitchen since she knew how to behave here. She knew how to follow the hygiene concept like a recipe. She knew this place by heart.

Next to the normal staff of the LGATT, two students came here every day to help preparing the dinner. It was part of her missionary time and so on obligatory for them. They cooked here with four Nuns of the Franciscan Order who came here every day.

"Joohyun, have you finished with the dough?", a female voice asked from behind.

"Yes, Sister Margret." She answered formally and bowed as the black dressed woman approached her.

"Well done, Joohyun." A smile appeared on her face.

"You can start with the tomato sauce now. The ingredients are in the fridge. Please use the big pot under the benches", another Nun recommended her.

"Yes, Sister Eleen", she again answered politely and walked around the island to get the items.

For Irene, the kitchen was the only place at this school where she felt save. The Nuns of the order where nice, and if she did a mistake, they wouldn't scold her or tell the instructors of the school about it.