Chapter 30

7 days before

7 days before

Irene's POV:

She stared at Seulgi's eyes. Horrible, dark brown eyes.

Seulgi's POV:

She lost herself in Irene's eyes. Soft, light brown eyes.

Irene's POV:

She could feel how her limbs went numb. How her blood gradually froze. She couldn't really believe it in the first moment.

"Sit down", the principal said to Seulgi and pushed her down harshly. The girl plumbed on the chair like a sack, not showing any reaction. Irene gulped and examined her closely. Seulgi seemed to be tired. Like she hadn't seen a shower in a while.

Her hair was messy, her skin looking greasy and kind of dirty. Everything the old Seulgi had taken so much care of. Now she looked like a faked version of herself. Or maybe the real one...

"Welcome!", the principal clapped her hands and took Irene back to reality. She flinched. "I guess you must've been glad to receive our invitation from Sister Ellen. Lovely, right?"

"It was a pleasure", Irene said with a shaky voice. She smiled, placing her hands formally on her lap. She glanced to Seulgi who groaned.

"I hope you won't mind her", the principal watched Seulgi disgustedly. "It's her last period of the Measurements today." So she had been right about the Punishments. They punished Seulgi for something. Irene's heart tightened.

Seulgi lifted her head but immediately dropped it. The principal laughed. "I would suggest you leave today, Tzuyu. We don't want to overwork you."

Tzuyu stood up without saying anything and bowed. "Thank you, Ma'am." Irene frowned. Somehow everything at this place felt so strange for Irene. Before she could think about that more, Tzuyu had already exited the room, leaving the principal and one Nun alone.

For a moment, silence lingered in the air.

Awful silence.

As she was sitting on her chair, the principal walked around Seulgi and her, like she was thinking about something. It took too long. With every step she made, Irene's mind went crazy.

Suddenly, she smiled.

Irene shivered.

The principal walked to the cupboard and opened a small drawer at the left side. Irene's eyes hurt form trying to see what she was doing in her back, but all she could catch were the blurry silhouettes of the authorities.

Seconds later, she returned and stopped next to Irene. This time, her expression was serious and cold. She kneeled down beside her and whispered something in her ear.

"Intoxication won't defeat God's hierarchy."

She could feel a hard slap on her neck, like a whip that kissed her skin. She clenched her teeth but couldn't resist the immense pain that floated her body. A high yell escaped her lips as she pressed her eyes together.