Chapter 17

19 days before

19 days before

Irene's POV:

Her pulse was beating fast. The blood pulsating in her ears.

She scanned the hectic mass of students that exited the chapel. Everybody was hungry and wanted to get as fast to the refectorium as possible. Organization looked different.

She held Dami's right wrist so she wouldn't leave her somewhere. It had happened once; she needed to look for her half an hour. In the end, Dami had simply stayed in the chapel.

Irene scanned the mass again, seeing nothing but tons of heads. Dark brown hair. That's what she looked for.

Everybody got dark brown hair. Apart from some exceptions like Park Rosé or Dami. Nearly half the school had the same hair color.

Her heart was beating like she had run a marathon. The concern tied her throat up. She had almost felt the pain by herself. And just for being distracted for a second.

Dami's hand slipped away as they walked down the cloister. It was loud and the air was filled with chatter and footsteps. She looked back and stopped. Dami was already vanished from the face of earth.

She bit her lip and breathed out deeply. The day had already started worst. What came next? A furious Nun that smashed a board at her head?

"Good morning, Joohyun."

She flinched and fixed the girl who had just appeared next to her. Irene relaxed.

"Good morning, Seulgi", she replied with a polite voice. Although the girl wasn't looking at her, she felt like getting free of a heavy load. Seulgi was fine.

She cleared her throat. "Have you slept well?", Irene asked carefully. She knew she shouldn't show any emotion nor curiousness. For their environment, Seulgi and Irene were friends. Nothing more.

The girl next to her was still not looking at her, her gaze was focused on the students in front of her. Right now, they entered the atrium to meet the others at the refectorium. Irene bit her lip, feeling the frustration gradually spreading in her body.

There hadn't been any interactions between them in the last six days, and even when she met her in public, Seulgi confronted her with her cold, careless and unbothered attitude she pretended to have.

Usually, Irene had a hard time to distinguish between those two characters the girl represented.

"I slept quiet well. My neck hurts a bit due to the matrasses."

Irene nodded. So it was the matrasses... Smart.

In other words: Her neck was aching because of the hard slap of the principal.

"Ah okay", she mumbled, now watching the other girls in front of her too. "I hope it gets better soon." She placed her hand on Seulgi's shoulder and smiled. Her gaze switched from Irene's hand to her eyes, irritation and a hint of nervousness mirroring in her gaze.