Chapter 11

26 days before

26 days before

Irene's POV:

"Feel it. The beat rushing through your veins, the soft tones echoing in the air. Take all that pleasure and express it with your fingers." Dahyun closed her eyes, leaning forward and started to move her slim fingers over the keys.

Irene closed her eyes too, concentrating on the wonderful music they were just creating. She had to feel it. She had to feel the classic rhythm in her bones to make it even more beautiful.

"And now the glissando", she whispered, leaning back and inhaling. Then both of them opened their eyes, moving to the left to start from the bass to move up to the last key of the piano.

Irene loved it. The melody sounded like heaven. A heaven full of good memories. Memories of her past. Of her mother cooking for her. Playing chess with her. Caring for her.

"Joohyun!", Dahyun blurted out. Irene flinched, her hands landing uncontrolled on the keys. She squinted her eyes as the awful tone appeared. "I apologize", Dahyun immediately answered, the anger turning into a worried expression.

"I apologize too", Irene automatically answered, bowing her head like Dahyun did. "I was unconcentrated and distracted. I'm so sorry." She looked down on her hands, knowing that Dahyun was mad. She had a reason though. Irene had to focus while playing a duet with her.

"Let's starts from the beginning. Remember the D sharp here." Dahyun pointed at the paper in front of them and glanced at her. Irene nodded and bit her lip. She would remember this time.

D sharp.

After the E.

She wouldn't miss the key.

For the fourth time today, they started. Chaeryeong who was sitting at the table across the room was probably already tired of their practice. Rosé had already left after half an hour. Mina was still not joining them after the incident.

Irene still felt sorry.

"Remember the D sharp", Dahyun hissed and leaned forward to give the sound a certain touch. It was a habit of her to express her passion in her movement. But Irene looked down in concentration, looking like she hadn't played the piano for years.

She hit the D sharp, feeling relieved and tensed up at the same time. She rapidly raised her fingers up, now starting to play staccato. Meanwhile Dahyun stayed in her elegant calm playing at the violin treble clef. 

It sounded so pure and full. Irene felt like flying.

Suddenly, a knocking appeared.

Irene flinched again. Her hands became uncontrollably again. She hit the A instead of the H, causing a disharmony. Irene clenched her teethes.

Dahyun smashed her hands on the keys. Now it was over.

"I apologize", Irene mumbled with a guilty expression and pressed her lips together. "Accepted", Dahyun hissed. She stood up and grabbed the paper in front of her.