Chapter 18

19 days before

19 days before

Seulgi's POV:

The brush kissed the canvas, the easel shook a bit. The purple color mixed up with the liquid, and as she pressed the soft tissue at the fabric, it finally gained shape.

The silence was like a curtain that separated her from her environment. She was completely focused on her painting. Nothing else except of the small vase could be infiltrated in her view.

Again, she dipped the brush into the water which was already lightly blue. A ray of sunlight entered the room through the open window; some birds chirped outside. It was calming and relaxing.

Her painting looked already quite finished, still, Seulgi would never be satisfied with her work. She glanced at the vase next to her. The foxglove was leaning against the painted porcelain, looking soft and fragile.

A pernicious flower that could poison you with less than three leaves.

She scrutinized the plant, absorbing every detail before comparing it with her painting. It looked identical yet so lifeless. She grabbed the white paint and placed some drops onto each of her drawn leaves.

She shook her head and sighed.

A chair creaked; footsteps appeared. Seulgi leaned closer to her easel to cover her picture. Sister Jane cleared her throat and tilted her head. "Have you finished Seulgi?"

Seulgi took a step back, leaving the brush on the table. "No, Sister."

"It looks already naturalistic. I suggest you focus more on the light. Today, our main source is the sun, but we still got some extra lamps over there", the Nun pointed at the corner of the room where two lamps emitted light.

Seulgi nodded and bowed.

Although she hated the authorities like others hated to get up early, they could still teach her things in terms of art. It wasn't her priority, but a good way to kill some time. And she would pass the subject easily.

The brush touched the canvas another time, now with a lighter shape of purple. She moved it softly with her wrist, her fingers remaining still. It looked elegant.

Minutes later, she looked up to see if Sister Jane was still in the room. As an instructor, she had to stay, but the Sisters usually walked around like they didn't got a class to supervise.

Her eyes rapidly caught the black fabric of her robe, flattering in the soft breeze. Seulgi huffed desperately. She bit her lip, scanning all the other students who painted still-lives too.

Everybody was so focused...

She took her brush which was covered with black paint. She gulped, admiring her work for the last time. She flipped the brush in her right hand, raised it to her shoulder-level and aimed the canvas.