Chapter 22

15 days before

15 days before

Irene's POV:

She was chopping the vegetable silently. First the potatoes, then the carrots. It would be part of the dish Mina had suggested her to cook. They have studied it in detail with the Franciscan Nuns, and they were all fine with that.

It was a small comfort for Mina. Irene felt sorry for all the things that had recently happened to the girl. She needed to support her everywhere she could. Helping her in kitchen was part of that.

Irene knew Seulgi didn't like it at all.

Sister Eleen passed her and stopped, looking into the pot on the oven. She nodded and smiled at Irene, a sign that she was doing well. She slightly bowed and smiled before taking the herbs.

Fortunately, Dami had gotten them all in her botanic garden.

"Joohyun?", a silent voice appeared behind her. She turned around, raising one eyebrow.

"Yeah?" Mina was standing in front of her with big eyes. She was trembling a bit. Irene put on a smile and softened.

The trembling had developed into a habit of the girl after the principal had sent Ryujin, Winter and her to the Punishments. Now Mina couldn't hold her hands still, her eyes were always twitching like she didn't know where to look at.

Her arms and legs had become even thinner, probably because of a growing eating disorder. Irene had observed the girl while eating. Her meals were pathetically small...

"What's the matter?", Irene asked and took a slide of the carrots. She glanced at the other Nuns who were busy with the oven and gave Mina the vegetable. "Eat that", she whispered and rapidly shoved the carrot into Mina's mouth.

Mina's eyes widened. She looked at Irene nervously but started to chew it. Irene nodded with squinted her eyes.

"There is a girl that want to see you", Mina said with a shaky voice and pointed at the door that was half closed. Irene furrowed her eyebrows until the realization hit her. That must be Seulgi...

Irene bit her lip and stared at Mina who was fidgeting with her fingers. She looked intimidatedly. "I'm right back. Can you chop the herbs for me?", she asked before approaching the door, leaving Mina alone.

Her nervousness gradually grew. She knew why Seulgi was here.

For the last time, she breathed in and out, before revealing her poker face. Now or never.

"Good afternoon, Seulgi", she said calmly, a light smile appearing on both lips.

"Good morning, Joohyun", the black-haired replied firmly. Irene's eyes dropped to the purple plant in Seulgi's hand.

Seulgi raised her arm, showing her a small piece of paper. There was a small note, written with a neat hand-writing. Irene skimmed over it and looked up.