Chapter 26

11 days before

11 days before

Irene's POV:

"Two kilograms of chopped carrots. One kilogram of potatoes. Two tablespoons of chopped coriander. 2 kilograms of Emmentaler, one kilogram of alpine cheese." The authority – her Latin instructor – stood in front of them, holding Mina's notebook. He was reading out the ingredients of the intoxicated meal.

"Five tablespoons of salt. 500 grams of tomatoes. Wash all the vegetables and chop them to small cubes..." He looked up and scanned all of them. All the kitchen staff, the Franciscan Nuns plus Irene and Mina stood in a row, listening to the authority.

The plumb Nun who called them leaned against the door frame in the back. The men closed the book and throw it on the blank metallic working bench. Mina gasped.

"There is nothing wrong with the ingredients. An allergic reaction is impossible." He touched his chin and closed his eyes for a moment to think. Irene felt more than tensed up. Hopefully, nobody of them would check the organic waste...

"It has to be the food", he deduced and started to walk around in the kitchen. He seemed more like an inspector than an authority. "Sister Anne, note down that the insurance department need to check the costs."

The plumb small Nun straightened up and took a paper out of her pocket. Irene watched her scribbling down something. Meanwhile, the men took out some pots, inspecting them before putting them on the table.

He didn't even mind to tidy his own mess up. Irene clenched her teeth.

"Somebody of you made a mistake", he suddenly shouted furiously. Both Irene and Mina flinched. Her heart was beating fast. With fast steps, he approached them, his gaze being intimidating.

"Excuse me, Sir", Sister Margret spoke up. "But without evidences you should neither blame us nor our students." A guilty feeling spread in her body. Her mentors defeated her out of trust. And she had used that.

"Evidence", the instructor imitated with a silly voice. "I DON'T NEED EVIDENCE TO KNOW THAT THE POISON CAME OUT OT THE KITCHEN." His furious screaming echoed in the room. Irene started to tremble.

"Why would just the principal and Sister Mary become sick when it comes out of the kitchen?", Sister Margret countered. Her wrinkled face was neutral and serious.

"Because one of you did a stupid mistake with two of the plates for the authorities." He spit on the ground with a disgusted face. The Nun crossed her arms in front of her chest and raised an eyebrow.

He eyed Sister Margret once before turning his back to her and walking along the others.

"Call some food specialists. They should turn the kitchen upside down", he ordered to the other Nun who took out her paper eagerly. "I'll find the evidence."