Chapter 7

34 days before

34 days before

-Step 1-

Scan your surroundings and be aware of the conditions

Irene's POV:

"Lee Dami?"

"Present!"

Irene stood still, her hands pressed against her hips. She was holding her breath.

"Jung Eunbi?"

"Present!"

Her hands felt numb as she was building fists. The east wing was cold and still without a heating system.

"Kim Minjeong?"

"Present!"

Irene trembled a bit. The cold air was kissing her bare skin. Her body was covered with goosebumps.

"Bae Joohyun?"

"Present!", she said in a formal voice, followed by a cough. "I apology", Irene immediately added as her head dropped to the floor.

"Accepted", the instructor replied without any emotions and looked back at his clipboard. They were standing in the middle of the atrium, next to the entrance of the east wing.

While the instructor was checking if everybody attended the missionary meeting, Irene tried her best not to let out another cough. It was normal for her to become ill in autumn since the school didn't heat up any rooms until November 1st.

She gulped, feeling that her throat was dry and infected. It was a normal side effect of the cold and usually followed by otalgia and a sore throat. Tomorrow, she would have an appointment at the infirmarium to receive medicine, at least for a few days.

The instructor put the clipboard back into his pocket and entered the east wing. Everybody followed him.

Today was every month's head missionary meeting with the principal. Therefore, one student got assigned from every missionary section to attend. For the kitchen team, Irene had to join the meeting since she had been there the longest.

It was almost too coincidental that she got the chance today...

It was perfect.

Dami was here since she had to represent the botanic club that was responsible for the school yard and the small greenhouse. Her dorm-member knew plant better than humans. Irene was glad that she didn't have to meet the principal alone.

On the other hand, Winter was with them too. Right now, having an instructor by their side, she wasn't a danger after all. Like in every class they shared, the girl put on her mask out of porcelain. It looked fragile and lovely, but was opaque as metal.

For a short moment, their eyes met. Irene stared in deep, cold and empty black eyes. She definitely preferred Seulgi's eyes...

"Have you closed the window?", Irene asked Dami in a low voice. The girl looked at her, the eyes half closed. She nodded.