Chapter 27

9 days before

9 days before

Seulgi's POV:

"This is wrong." Irene smashed her fist at the door frame. "I'm hurting people!" The exasperation was reflecting in her eyes. Lovely dark eyes that started to burn out of guilt once she had infiltrated her idea.

Seulgi stayed muted. She was leaning against the pipe system behind her, long, black tubes that disappeared in the ceiling. She knew that this conversation would come.

"Look", she sighed. "We need to think objective to succeed in our plan. Detachment and objectivity are the key to everything."

Irene slightly shook her head. She had furrowed her eyebrows, irresolution written over her face. "I can't ignore how people suffer because of me", she whispered. She wasn't looking at Seulgi. All she did was standing there like a statue, facing the ground.

It somehow made Seulgi angry. She prevented herself from rolling her eyes. "Who is suffering because of you?", she asked softly and approached her.

"Sister Mary? The principal?"

"You really care for them?", Seulgi countered harshly and frowned.

Irene bit her lip. "Seul, they are still humans..."

"Without humanity", Seulgi added full of disgust. Irene huffed. Her struggle was obvious.

"Mina...", she whispered.

"What about Mina now?" Seulgi wasn't even hiding her annoyance anymore. She had developed a hate for this certain girl. What had caught Irene's interest? Was it the mysterious aura Myoui Mina emitted? Or was it the fight between Winter and Ryujin?

"She thinks the intoxication was her fault", Irene explained. A single tear ran down her face. Seulgi stayed were she was. She showed no reaction. The sudden anger took control over her.

"All the better. At least nobody is suspicious about you." Seulgi shrugged and approached her for another time. It took a huge amount of empathy to do so. Normally, Seulgi would have stayed emotionless.

"Cheer up, honey. Everything will be over in a week. I promise you." She made eye contact with Irene before smiling. The frustration remained. "Then we will be free", Seulgi whispered into her ear. She embraced Irene, wrapping her arms tightly around the latter's waist.

Suddenly, she got pulled back. Seulgi stumbled a few steps backward, her eyes widened. She blinked dumbfoundedly.

"But I don't want to be free! At least not with the methods you proposed!" Irene's voice sounded harsh and rough. She was breathing hard; her hands balled to fist. She seemed... mad.

For a moment, silence surrounded them. Seulgi didn't understand.

She didn't want to be free?

She had never really appreciated the plan Seulgi created?