Chapter 35

today

today

Irene's POV:

She ran through the atrium, neither minding the cameras nor anything else. If somebody was behind her or not, it didn't matter anymore. She passed the library and the scriptorium, then the refectorium. From the distance, she could already see two lanky men, dressed in white aprons.

"Good morning", she said, trying to catch her breath.

"Good morning, Ms. Bae. We are the inspectors of the Health Department of Florida."

-

Irene was leaning against the door frame, waiting for them to finish. One man was taking photos of literally everything in the kitchen, not minding to even take pictures of Irene.

One of them - she thought his name was Steve- was a tall, lanky man with a pointy beard and a long, humped noise. With the apron, he looked more like a doctor that a food specialist.

The other one - Billy - was a bit smaller than Steve but still very thin. He didn't get hair at all, just his curved moustache completed the image.

Together, they looked more like Harry and Marv of Home Alone. Just that Irene was the villain in this game.

"We should come her more often", Billy had said after taking several awkward pictures of Irene. She felt uncomfortable being around this pedophile dude. Thinking about the further steps of her plan already gave her nausea.

"Can we see the cubbyhole at the back?", Steve said a bit friendlier and pointed at the small door. Irene nodded, not moving at all. It was the same with the fridge and the oven.

After fifteen minutes, the pedophile photographer (Billy) left, saying he needed to check the pictures in the car outside. And these people worked for the government... But being alone with the other was way more chilled as before. Because he wasn't asking unnecessary questions like a child!

-

"Are you finished now?", Irene said with an annoyed subtone, stepping with her shoe loudly on the ground.

"I need to check the dining hall."

"You mean the refectorium." Irene emphasized it on purpose and raised one eyebrow. An irritated expression plastered on his face, followed by a glimpse of fury.

"Whatever", he spitted out. Irene smiled mischievously and leaned forward.

She hastily walked to the door, not caring if he managed to follow her. She glanced at the silver table at her left side. The pan looked really tempting...

On second later, she stopped. Hesitated. And turned around.

"Do you really need to check them?"

"Yes", he said monotonal. "There could be bacteria."