Chapter 14

25 days before

25 days before

Irene's POV:

There was a candle flickering in front of her, spending enough light to read the small characters. The thin pages were suffused with the yellowish light. She had carefully placed on hand between two pages, the other fidgeted with the edge of the paper.

The book in front of her had been her favourite for years, now, reading it again after so much time was like a déjà vu. Irene had loved to sit in the library for the whole Recreation time and sometimes even in the evening if the school would allow her to do.

The library had a mystical and old touch. The big shelfs were overloaded with religious and epical books, the tables in the middle building a row for students. However, tt was an underrated place.

She had almost forgotten about the beautifulness of this room. It would remind her of belle's library in the beauty and the beast. Full of books about the world. The atmosphere got just interrupted by the spying cameras and the Nun who was observing them like a watchdog.

She looked up, watching the big clock that was hanging over the entrance of the scribtorium. It was a little extra hall behind the library. Most people used it for doing their homework or to study, otherwise the room was usually empty.

She watched two students passing her, both with some books in their hands. A collection of fairy tales, as far as she could recognize it. She should read them too. These enchanted and hopeful stories had always sent her to sleep when she was young.

She loved to listen to Rapunzel. She had imagined to be the helpless girl with the long hair and had replayed with her stuff toys. Her big teddy bear had always been the fearless prince. Today, it would maybe be a fearless princess.

How ironic. Loving a story about a girl living isolated in a high tower. No chance to escape. Drilled by her own 'mother'. She couldn't really see a connection to her current situation...

Irene shook her head and focused back on her book. She got distracted too easily. The flame was still flickering, somehow calming her down. Yesterday had been an awful day for her. Exhausting, stressing and full of terror.

She looked for the line where she had stopped reading and quickly found it. The main character Cinder was right now talking to the doctor. It was somehow hilarious how ignorant and dumb she could be.

Irene leaned back and sighed in satisfaction.

In the background, she could hear the oversized clock ticking. Some students were chattering quietly, others just enjoyed the atmosphere. A content smile appeared on her lips.

"Good afternoon", a sudden voice drove her back to reality. Irene blinked and bit her lip. She had completely blended out her surroundings.

In front of her stood a girl with blond, short hair and a friendly smile. She had tilted her head and looked at Irene curiously.