Chapter 5

37 days before

37 days before

Irene's POV:

Her fingers barely touched the keys of the black piano. But still, a mesmerizing sound came out of the big body in front of her, giving her goosebumps. It was a distraction from the world, just hearing the music that floated through her body and giving her the feeling of liberty.

She often passed her Recreation in the music study room on the second floor. It was a place to calm down for her, especially since she shared it with the same people. Every day, she met the shy little girl here that used to play the violin but now composited her own songs at the study desks. She thought her name was Chaeryeong...

Then there was Dahyun, a girl who was way more talented in playing the piano than her. Her fingers were made for this instrument. She was able to hit the key without moving her torso, but still, her playing got this little extra, this volume Irene would never be able to create.

She was really fascinated about her skills.

The sound of the guitar always came from Rosé, Seulgi's dorm member. Irene could feel how the girl got lost in her own music and disappeared in her little world for two hours. She talked to nobody or even listened to their music. For that time, she blended out everything. It was at least that Irene's expression.

Irene knew that playing the guitar was Rosé's only way to escape her anxiety and frustration. She sometimes asked herself why this innocent girl had to enter the school. And simultaneously she already knew that she would never find out the answer.

The last person that she often met here was Mina. They both came here together after the missionary activities although Mina couldn't even play an instrument. Irene found it quite interesting how the girl always carried a notebook and a pencil with her, just to sit at the desk and write long stories.

She had never been able to find out what Mina was doing there. It was too private to ask. And still, her curiosity almost killed her. Again.

She touched the C6 with her thumb three times while playing a melody with her left hand. Then she abruptly moved her hand back to E3. A disharmony echoed in her ears. She had missed the key.

The little motion to her left indicated her that Dahyun was probably glancing at her, but as she lifted her head, everybody in the room was busy with their own stuff.

Today was not really Irene's day. She was unconcentrated, distracted and not in the mood to sit still. Seulgi's suggestion was still following her in her thoughts.

'Let's escape'. A small sentence with big meaning. She knew how many consequences this little phrase could drag along. She didn't want to imagine that. The Punishments they would receive weren't made for Irene's mind. They would kill them. Not in a physical way, but mentally.

Absorbing every piece of humanity out of their bodies. Cutting all the love they felt out of their hearts. Squishing all their logical sense out of their brains.