Chapter Five

The car ride is pretty quick. I take advantage of that moment to look at the town a bit more in detail. We exchange a little bit with Alan. Nothing much. We pass in front of the Aurora and I can't help myself to question him about Phil :

" What do you have on Phil Hawkins ? Like do you really have something against him ? " I ask, trying not to sound too condescending. But it's been a long time since we took Phil away from our suspects' list.

" Do you think I am going to answer that ? " He gives me a quick glance before focusing back on the road. It was getting more and more foresty around us.

" I guess not ! " I answer slightly annoyed to not get more info out of him.

" You have tour secrets about this case and I have mine. But my excuse is that I actually have to keep it quiet because it's part of the job. What is your excuse ? "

" I stay quiet for safety questions. Not only my own. " I quickly check my phone to read briefly what's happening in the chat. I feel Alan's gaze on me for a second or two.

" You are really risking your own safety for strangers ? " He asks me before turning the car on a small road away from the rest of the civilisation.

" Apparentely, I am. " I say quietly, looking around me. My heart beat is getting faster. I can't help but start re-thinking this decision. It's not about being alone with Alan, it's about being in that gigantic forest, in the dark with a murderer hiding somewhere. If something goes wrong and I end up alone in there, I am fucked.

" You are safe with me here as long as you don't play any stupid game " He sounds reassuring but I can definitely the warning tone too.

We drive a bit more, losing all sight of the town, no lights, nothing, just the darkness and the car headlights. He parks the car on some kind of improvide parking lot. I get out of the car and take my flashlight out. I look around us and the forest is intimidating. Those trees are going to swallow us alive. Alan walks up next to me :

" Nice torch ! " He mocks me before starting to walk towards a well-hidden path leading straight into the forest. I follow him, very closely. After a few steps, we seem to be already far from the parking lot. We can't see anything anymore behind us. I'm slowly starting to panic. I feel hot and cold at the same time and I have to try really hard not to start shaking. I put my hood back on :

" So, Gloria, may I call you Gloria ? " Alan looks at me and I see a little smile on his face. I can tell he is trying to make me feel better. I am apparentely not doing a good job at hiding my anxiety.

" You may yes, might as well " I shrug, lighting up the ground with my light to see where I am putting my feet. Gosh, if I break a leg now... :

" Call me Alan then Gloria. Now that you are not hiding from me anymore, let's have a little conversation. That will keep our heads straight. " He seems so comfortable, another walk in the woods for him I imagine. I am jealous of his calm.

" What do you wanna talk about Alan ? " I ask, trying to sound confident.

" How about starting with the beginning ? How did you get involved in all this ? "I sigh. It feels like this whole story started months or even years ago. One text and now I'm in the forest in the middle of the night looking for someone I don't anything about apart that her boyfriend is a pain in the ass :

" Hannah send my number to her boyfriend. He added me, told me what was happening and I decided to help. Might have been my dumbest decision ever but I didn't feel able to look past it, you know ? Acting normally when a missing person sends your number as a last sign of life... I don't know how she got my number but... I just want to help you know ? "