Chapter Fourty-Four

I gave Gloria the answer to the question she had in mind since day one. During our stroll in the forest, I expected her multiple times to ask it. Not knowing was often best. I waited in silence and watched every subtle change on her beautiful face. This was different from the story she expected. She sat on the white wooden desk while I rested my back against the wall that faced her. Arms crossed on my chest, I bit my lower lip nervously. Her fingers twisted the shiny ring that united us. Part of me feared she would take it off and throw it at my face.

"And you said they are intense... Is that the only adjective that came up to your mind? Shit, Jake, that's insane," Gloria finally spoke.

She jumped onto her feet and paced back and forth. Her hands brushed her long brown hair, all brought on one side. I swore it was possible to hear all the mechanics in her brain as it processed everything. The reaction she kept inside while I talked needed to be thought about and expressed correctly.

"That's messed up. People are so messed up! I'm sorry about your friend. I'm sorry about everything, actually. It's horrible," she leaned her lower back against her desk, her palms flat on each side.

Now that she knew what those men were capable of, I was sure she would give up the idea of joining me on that adventure. But like she read my current train of thought, she said:

"I'm still going with you wherever it is you're going,"

I opened my mouth. So dumbfounded I didn't find the words to say. I took a deep breath in and out instead to prepare myself for a second fight within the same hour. Gloria's eyes on me; she had to know what her words made me feel.

"Did you not listen to what I just told you?" I wanted to remain calm. I was. But as an attempt to do so, a cold tone reverberated in the room.

"I heard you very well. That's why I'm coming with you. I'm not letting you alone against those deranged people,"

"Gloria," I sighed, annoyed. None of us would budge, and this situation could last forever.

"What?! Do you want to go there and play your stupid little game on your own and have them kill you? I mean, it would be pretty nice of them to just kill you. But it seems like they won't be that kind to you!" she raised her voice, visibly annoyed too.

"So you want to get killed with me?!"

"Yes!"

I scoffed and shook my head. This girl tested my patience.

"What? What's that scoff about?"

"It's ridiculous!"

"You are ridiculous! And your plan is ridiculous, and that whole situation is too! What do you want me to say to you, Jake? Wanna hear, please go! Go get killed and leave me here, all alone! While I wonder if something happened to you, if they showed you a little bit of mercy or if they took all the time in the world to rip you slowly apart before ending your life! Please, yes, let's do that! You promised you won't leave me on the sideline, so it's time for you to honor your fucking promises, Jake! "

"And what if they kill you?!" I yelled at her as I rushed to her. "They will hurt you because they'll know that's what would hurt me the most! They'll rip YOU apart in front of me and be even crueler! Is that what you want?!"

I never raised my voice with her. So as I stood right in front of her with a heart beating at a demented rhythm, I mentally hoped and prayed my abrupt reaction would change her mind.

"I want to be with you, Jake. That's all," Gloria spoke more calmly.

"And I want you to be safe!"

"I'm not safe! I never am! And so are you! That's how it is! So might as well be together when danger knocks at the door, don't you think? Together we are stronger,"