Chapter Nine

Jessy is calling and I answer without losing any seconds, getting up from my spot and walking aimlessly into the room like it was going to bring me closer to them. Their house is in the darkness and there he is, Michael, Richy, or whoever that is, standing outside with his flashlight, observing them, not moving, it was as scary as if he was running straight to them. I freeze immediately when I see him, copying him, not moving and just standing there. He is probably considering all the options he has at that very minute. The group has the number, the gun and the determination to end it all tonight. This should be enough to face him but he also has this determination to end it all tonight, the little plus is that he has nothing to lose, he will do everything to hurt as many of them, kill as many of them.

My body is cold and my blood feels like pure ice. I am scared to move, scared to speak, scared that one movement from me could trigger his attack despite him not being able to see me at all. The call ends but I stay with my hand up in front of me for a couple of seconds. Still quiet and terrified to move. I cannot walk to reach the bed or anything else so I drop my body down on the floor, sitting there, on my knees. I close my eyes and the image of Jake comes back to my brain, I am forcing myself to think about him and him only for a minute or two, chasing the rest away, listening to his voice, his words, I could almost sense his eyes on me again. All that I felt while with him is coming back, putting the fear on the side, giving me back the strength I need right now.

I open my eyes, follow the chat and quickly catch up with what is happening. They have this under control. They are all in position. He can't attack without getting hurt one way or another. He is walking around the house, still contemplating the options that are smaller and smaller with every step he takes.

Thomas : " I can take him ! He is right there ! I can get him right now ! "

Gloria : " Thomas do not do that ! You will put everyone in danger ! "

Jessy calls me back :

" Shit, Gloria, I think Thomas is going out... " She whispers, her voice shaking. I hear noises, voices and Jessy gasps " They went out ! They are all outside after him ! What do I do ? I have to help ! " She turns the camera to film in front of her with the flash of the phone.

" Jessy, stay where you are ! He could be inside now ! " I beg her but she doesn't listen. An enormous wave of anger is making my hands shake. Thomas is lucky I am away from him right now.

At every step Jessy takes, I feel closer to passing out. The rage boiling inside of me is not helping the rest of the feelings accumulated in my body. Adding the lack of sleep and proper food ? I feel like I am about to die. The doors are open, no one is left in the house apart from Jessy. If she gets hurt again right in front of my eyes, I won't be able to handle it, I won't be able to make it through the night.

She films down the stairs and when the camera moves back in front of her, there he is. Something is different in his demeanor. His behaviour suggests something more than just inspiring fear this time, some kind of rage radiates from him. You could almost see it glow. Or I am just hallucinating ? At this point, I can't tell anymore. Jessy walks back in panic but trip and fall to the ground and he is taking advantage of that to make his move, walking with confidence straight towards her and I could almost see the hit that was going to end Jessy's life right there in front of me. A sudden noise makes me jump and makes the man without a face jump too. The phone turns towards Dan, firing a second time the gun, leading our masked persecutor to flee the scene. The call ends again.

I can't see anything around me and I wonder why my vision is so blurry. Tears are dripping down my face. I drop my phone on the ground and leave my body to fall too next to it. Laying there, crying, a hand on my mouth to contain the noise. I struggle to catch my breath and I have to cough, gasping for air. My heart feels about to pop out of my chest. I sit back down on my knees, a more appropriate way to angle my body if I want to be able to breathe again. I rest my hands palm down on the floor to give me some stability. I close my eyes but only that man with his mask is present here in my head. I think about Jake, I think about him strongly, praying for his image and his sound to come back to me, but nothing is coming to me this time.