Chapter Eight

" Listen, I might be completely out of my mind, I am aware, all right ? But bear with me. Before Richy... Hum... " I just start and I already doubt myself, thinking back at the call with Richy that ended up in blood. I must be stupid to say what I'm about to say out loud, a gigantic amount of guilt getting in the way of my words. I clear my throat and begin again " Before that, I started to have suspicions about Richy. But it was just a feeling, nothing more. We now know that he is still alive thanks to what Hannah said in the audio you got us. At the Pine Glade festival, ten years ago, he was missing. He was out with the others, got drunk, then suddenly, he is nowhere to be seen. The file that's missing, who could have an easy and unnoticeeable access to those files ? Richy. " I throw my hands in the air and then rub them on my face.

Jake stays quiet for a while, I look at him, biting nervously my lips, waiting for an answer, praing that I don't make myself look like a complete idiot. He is not a liar so I knew I could get a real opinion from him. He seems to think very seriously about what I am saying, playing with one of the strings of his hoodie. I take advantage of the silence to quickly add to my reasonning :

" We know that Hannah was with Amy, what if he was with them ? Or maybe he was a bystander ? If he was with them then maybe Hannah was really having hallucinations, because of the guilt so she decided to go to the police and confess. Amy was ok with doing it too but maybe Richy did not want that so he had to... Get rid of them. But then again Richy killing Amy in cold blood like that ? And going after Jessy too, it's just insane to even think about it being a possibility. " I grunt and leave my head to fall backward " What am I even saying ? "

" Well... It does make sense. " Jake starts, letting go of the cord of his hoodie, crossing his arms on his chest " Write your name amongst the name of the victims, therefore no one is suspecting you and you have all the peace you need to take care of the situation. And after all, you do not know him that much, he could be a great actor. No one in the group knew this other side of Hannah and they were together all the time. " He shrugs with a pout. " How do you explain Michael's house ? "

I take a minute to think about it and I am struggling to make my brain work now that Jake's gaze is focused on me :

" I guess to lead the police and us into thinking that Michael is responsible. But then why did he take everything away ? The house was empty when the cops showed up. Also the phone, he didn't know we were going to find it but he knew where the others were anyway. " I sigh, regretting all my words already " Maybe he is badly injured, or even dead now and I'm here turning him into a suspect ? Oh my god " I hide my face in shame behind my hands.

" He probably had you as his primary suspect too at some point so... There is no need to feel guilty about it. " Jake's voice makes me look up at him again. He is not judging me for accusing a man that could be in great danger. He smiles softly at me and adds " It's ok Gloria, we have to consider every possibility, you are not talking to the police right now, this does not have an impact on him at all. It is just between you and me. " I close my eyes as I listen to him, letting his voice comforting me and heal my whole body from any guilt and shame.

" For how long was I your primary suspect, Jake ? " I ask, opening my eyes. I am quite curious about it. He is startled by my question, I see him passing a hand behind his neck, looking away. " Oh my god, that much time ? " I mimic an exaggerate shock on my face and laugh " Am I still a suspect ? " I add, only joking, to tease him.

" No, no, yes, no, not anymore I mean, I thought... You could.... But... " He is trying so hard to find the right words, afraid to mess things up even more I presume " I cannot find a reason that links you directly to the case and it bothered me for quite some time, it still does but I... Did not suspect you for that long. However, I stayed on my guard. " He finally confesses, still avoiding my eyes, fixing the collar of his hoodie with one hand.