Chapter Thirty-Seven

GLORIA'S POV

I felt guilty for insisting so much about the drug subject with Jake. He wanted to stay out of trouble and I was doing the opposite. I guess because Phil knew something about it, to me it was now connected to us. But he was just someone that do drugs and that's it. I will leave it at that.

I had trouble sleeping that night and Jake too. I couldn't tell what was on his mind and when I asked he didn't want to tell me anything about it. I have pried many times about his life, his past, and his feelings, I didn't want to do the same with his thoughts. So I stay in his arms in silence. Sleep finally got to me, I woke up slightly when I felt Jake moving away from me. I saw him leave the room but I was too sleepy to question anything. He was not back in bed when I woke up in the morning, or from what he said, he was just up early. Dan was up early too, he was always going in and out of the cabin, always on the road, on the phone. It was a very suspicious behavior from him again. But none of that was my business.

This morning, I wake up in an empty and cold bed again. I sigh, annoyed to sleep with a ghost. I hold Jake's pillow against me, fuming internally, a bit hurt to be left alone. The sun is barely up, what is the hurry to get up ? I turn around to check my phone, it's almost seven o'clock. I hear noises in the kitchen and quickly the pancake smell reaches my nose and my stomach forces me out of bed. Grabbing Jake's hoodie on the floor, I walk out of the room, quietly arriving in the kitchen. Jake is on his phone as the dough is cooking in the pan. He is bitting the nail of his thumb, the other scrolling down on the screen and typing rapidly :

" Everything ok ? " I ask softly in my sleepy voice.

" Hey ! Yeah, everything's ok, yes ! " He locks his phone and slides it into the back pocket of his black trousers. Something inside of me is not believing him and I feel guilty again. He never did anything to make me re-think the trust I have in him. He never lied, he never did one wrong gesture towards me. I walk up to him as he opens his arms to welcome me :

" You're not hiding anything from me, right ? " I frown, looking up at him.

" No, of course not " He kisses me on the forehead " Have a seat, breakfast is ready ! " He drops a kiss on my lips and I let go of him and my worry. Lying to each other is not something we do, even when the situation is critical, especially when the situation is critical. Since our fight, because of Hannah, we changed our ways of saying things. We want to take the time needed to talk seriously and even if it hurts, we'll do it and listen and solve it altogether.

Today is the 17th, we're going to the Aurora tonight so maybe this is what's bothering him. I made sure he was truly ok with his decision. And he insisted that yes he wanted to go. I just wish Phil will behave and Jake as well.

Jessy is back in town and I worry about her. She is having a hard time adjusting back to life.When Michael attacked her, twice, he really scared her but because she was so busy with the others she didn't have time to process it. Once her life quieted down, this was when it all when back to haunt her. I was scared Michael hurt her in a way she didn't mention. The video called stopped before she woke up on that pavement so I missed something but she assured me she has not been sexually assaulted.

Jessy : " At the cabin, that's where I thought I was gonna die. The way he rushed towards me when I was on the ground... His eyes, Gloria, you probably had to face the same look on his face. He wanted me dead, if Dan weren't there, I just know it would have been over for me "

She texted me. And I couldn't say the opposite. Yes, he would have killed her, probably choked her to death and he would have made sure I watched every second of it.