Chapter Thirty-Two . PART 3

GLORIA'S POV

We got on the road immediately after Jake's first text. Locating him was easy and it was a warehouse right on the edge of Newfold. The second message was explaining everything. I was so angry at him. The risk he took was careless. He didn't have many options, I will give him that. But still. And he was mad at me for getting into the mine ? He is just as hasty as me. Which is not a good thing at all. Jake said that if I received this text, it meant that something went wrong. So the brief second of relief I felt seeing his name was quickly replaced by panic... And anger. What a fucking idiot !

Dan is driving, I'm on the passenger side, Richy in the back with Grace. She insisted to come with us, pulling the argument that she could be the one waiting in the car behind the wheel, ready to drive, while the boys and I were getting inside the warehouse. It made sense. Also, I did not have the time to argue further with her. We are all silent but the radio is playing quietly in the background, to make it a bit less awkward for the others. I don't care about that at the moment. I am too busy considering the fact that Jake might be already dead now. Two hours have passed since he programmed the text. If something went wrong then it is easy to imagine the worst-case scenario.

My teeth have been nervously picking up my cuticles and skin around the fingernails. They almost all bled at least once and they hurt. But I can't stop. I don't have any patience left in me and the road is a never-ending line. My thumb is my victim when Dan put his hand down on my thigh, squeezing it gently :

" He is fine, he will be fine, he is a tough annoying son of a bitch. You don't get rid of him like that " His words draw a laugh out of Richy in the back. I smile at him and let my thumb escape from my teeth. But despite knowing how Jake can face those types of situations and how strong he can be, I still have a hard time hopping on the positive mindset train. A bullet in his head and he is done. The thought makes me shiver and clench my jaw to keep a straight face as I see the tears blurring my vision.

Killing Theo is an idea, an image, a fact, that I've been thinking a lot about. If Jake is not able to do it, I refuse to hand that task to Richy or Dan. So I'll be the one doing it. It is clear that Theo can't live. With all he knows about Jake, it is obvious the danger he represents and if my dad had to die then he has to as well. My dad... I surprise myself using that term when thinking about Michael. It terrifies me every time I catch myself doing it. Maybe re-considering our link is somehow helping me process what I would potentially have to do to Theo. Taking a life is something he could do easily.

We are getting closer. Time passes just like the kilometers. The three others interrupted the silence to talk and give more life to the car ride. I did not mind but did not participate. Dan would sometimes grab my hand or touch my thigh, a gesture to check on me without using words. My phone, which has been on my lap during the beginning of our journey in case it rings, finally makes a sound. Sadly, the text I got is not from the person I want :

Unknown : " Hello this is officer Gonzales, a friend of Alan. Keep this between us. Deavenport received incriminating shreds of evidence against Theo Whitlock. Alan should be safe soon ! Keep you in touch ! "

I sigh out of relief. Jake did it ! I am relieved for Alan but also it means Jake he still alive for now. I share the news with the others and the atmosphere lightens. One problem has been dealt with. Let's take care of what's next now.

As we arrive closer to the warehouse, we park the car at a strategic point. Grace gets behind the wheel :

" Keep your phone close ! You stay locked in there but if there is any danger you drive ! Ok ? " I check with her, not liking the idea of having her here waiting all alone for us.