Chapter Thirty-Four

GLORIA'S POV

Two days have passed since the Theo accident. Jake slept for most of them, waking up for ten minutes, enough for me to quickly force him to eat and drink a little. It was supposed to be a common behavior, that's what Dan said. He seems to know a lot about these types of drugs. He had no fever left and was perfectly normal, as normal as Jake is, whenever he was awake.

The boys took care of bringing Jake's stuff back here from the motel he stayed. Dan was more than happy to drive his motorcycle. When I saw at what speed he came back to the cabin, I said to him he was lucky that Jake was completely passed out or he would have killed him with his bare hands :

" Let's keep that between us, then ! " He winked at me with a smirk. Dan was less stressed, he was less worried when his phone rang. I didn't ask for any details about his past behavior. I wanted to stay out of trouble, guessing that maybe if we stayed out of other people's business we might have a chance of not getting caught in those situations again. But when thinking deeper about it last night, I figured out that Jake and I were the ones mixing people in our business. Michael wanted Hannah, Amy, and Richy but me too. And Theo, he wanted Jake. Alan was caught in the line of fire by accident. Speaking of him, he was out of jail. He texted me, asking about Jake and saying he would come over later.

We didn't hear anything from the cops. The news is how we were updated on the case. Theo Whitlock was the murderer, he died. End of story. Quickly the case was closed and forgotten by everyone. The police did not seem curious to know who shot him.

The others from the group heard about it from Richy, who insisted on letting Cleo and Jessy, at least, into the secret. Jessy was in Colville with her sister. She needed a break from Duskwood. Richy missed her a lot and thought he was responsible for how distant she suddenly was with us, with him in particular. It was a tough battle to change his mind. Himself, needed time on his own to figure things out, it was Jessy's turn to go through that now.

I am alone at the cabin today, staying by Jake's side in bed, I try to keep up with the real life and my job that I can thankfully do from afar. My boss does not ask a lot of questions and that's perfect. Grace needed to go back though.

It's the middle of the afternoon when I hear a car parking in front of the cabin. I expect Cleo but when I open the door, she is not alone. Hannah and Lilly are with her. They don't know the full story, only that Jake was hurt. Lilly is still recovering mentally from his sister's disappearance, we didn't judge useful to add some more stress. Hannah... I insisted because I don't trust her.Cleo arrives with a sorry smile. She and Lilly are carrying Tupperware filled with different types of cakes and biscuits :

" Cakes are the only way to fully recover ! " Cleo exclaims with a laugh as my eyes open wide seeing all the food she is bringing.

" I can only agree to that ! " I help her carry things and she helps Lilly with the other boxes, joining me in the kitchen.

" I am sorry, Lilly wanted to come and I felt weird not bringing Hannah. Lilly doesn't know what happened between you, Jake, and her. I'm sorry " Cleo apologizes, whispering. I put my hand on her shoulder.

" It's ok, don't worry, this is not your problem to deal with " I reassure her with a smile.We all settle in the living room with drinks and one of the many boxes Cleo brought with her :

" So is he alright now ? Like totally safe ? " Lilly asks. I could tell this question has been burning the inside of her mouth for a while.

" Yes. He is still a bit tired but he's good now, you don't have to worry Lilly, I promise " Her shoulders drop, relaxed to hear those words.