Chapter Thirty

OMG ! Chapter Thirty... It was supposed to be a short fanfic to help me move on with my life after finishing the game... Well welcome to chapter THIRTY !

Thank you to those who are still here ! ❤

GLORIA'S POV

" Coffee ? " I ask James Deavenport. He nods, sitting down on a stool around the kitchen counter. I grab a mug and pour him some until he raises his hand to stop me. I put the coffee pot away after filling my cup too. I sit down in front of him and wait.

Alan and Jake told me about him. They encountered him outside the police station, saying that Jake was Alan's nephew. We all knew that James would not believe it and check immediately after if they were telling the truth. So it was fair to assume he was suspecting the mysterious nephew to be an accomplice.

I understand now what Alan told me about James. He looked contemptuous, just by giving you one glance you could feel he thought he was better than you, he was superior. Alan didn't stop rambling about Deavenport all night. I told the boys it was just an act. And now that I have him in front of me, I can confirm it's an act. He is well-dressed but it's a cheap suit. If you are paying close attention it is easy to notice it all. His hair I would bet all my money on a good hair transplant surgery. His cologne is as horrendous as Thomas'. That smell is never going to leave my apartment. That man screams loneliness and desperation to prove himself to his boss. Which makes him dangerous :

" So, Gloria Abigail Jones " James starts, opening up a file. My full name is only sounding nice when it's coming out of Jake's mouth. I squint my eyes a little, the file in front of him is about what happened in Duskwood " You've been through a lot lately. How are you holding up ? " He leaves the file wide open and looks up at me, tilting his head on the side. Fake sympathy in the eyes. I want to roll my eyes at him.

" I'm doing alright, thank you ! " I answer, playing his game along.

" Great, it's good to hear. PTSD is a bitch ! " He chuckles " Well, you know why I'm here, I presume. You do not seem surprised to have me here in your kitchen " He takes a sip of his coffee, his eyes do not stop staring at me, in case my face revealed anything. Or maybe he wants to intimidate me. Or both, probably.

" Alan is innocent " I say as it is stating the most obvious fact the world ever carried.

" Alan has that thing about him, you end up liking him no matter what, he grows on you... Or at least you feel a bit of sympathy for the guy. Do you know what I mean ? " He scoffs, not even hiding the mockery behind his laugh.

" He is a nice man, a respectful one ! And he is innocent ! " I answer firmly, not a sign of smile left on my face

" I listened to your call. So you believe him when he says that some random guy got his fingerprints and put them on a crime scene ? " He raises an eyebrow, bringing the mug full of coffee to his lips.

" Yes ! Theo Whitlock is the man you are looking for " My revelation leaves him completely indifferent " Do you want me to write it down for you ? " I add, annoyed, that makes him laugh through his nose.

" Who is that " James mimes quotation marks with his fingers as he says " 'nephew' Alan and you talked about on the phone ? I've met him and you don't need to be a genius to know it was a big, big lie. Who is that Daniel ? It sounded like you know him at least a little. You said he lives close to you so do you have an address to give me ? I would love to have a little chat with him " He smiles brightly at me, a proud smile, sure that he just asked a tricky question.