Chapter Fourteen . PART 2

Long chapter ahead ! Omg ! Part 3 is on the way, bear with me. Thank you for reading and all your lovely comments !! :)

JAKE'S POV

Gazing from my phone to where I am putting down my feet is not a smart idea. I trip I don't know how many times in my hurry. I decided that my best bet at getting to Gloria quickly was to go through another entrance. There were too many detours in the one she took, smart move from Michael I hate to admit it. My map was not detailed enough to arrive straight to them and getting lost is not something I can allow myself. I have no clear idea how my body is moving, guilt and fear are weighing severely on my shoulders. Too eager to save people, we did not think things through. I do not have time to blame myself.

I arrive at the second entrance. It does not lead to the safest way through the mine but it will do the job, also it is the safest way to stay under the radar of the cops while I repair my mistake. If I arrive on time, of course. If Gloria is already dead, might as well let myself get caught, I would not see a point to escape or fight to survive. I do not think very positively right now, it is a hard thing to do when the person you love the most is facing the most unstable person. I open a big heavy metal door, which grates so loudly and horribly that the whole Duskwood probably heard it. The only way is down. A big ladder is there, waiting to lead me straight into the darkness. Does this look sturdy ? No. Do I risk falling and crashing down on the solid ground and die ? Yes, highly probable.

I slide my phone into the back pocket of my trousers, put my flashlight between my teeth and go down. I have to be cautious, every time I put one foot down I can feel the ladder tremble. My hands hurt as I am holding tight to prevent a fall. It is rusty and wet, my grip is not the best but I could still hang on. I go deeper and deeper and soon I reach the bottom. Looking up, it does look even more impressive from down there. I point my flashlight in front of me. I do not have many options, I can only go straightforward for now. I grab my phone and check the map. Richy is not far. The volume on my phone is not high but I can hear perfectly what Michael says. He seems to enjoy Gloria's company and that's the only point I relate to with him. I listen to his story as I venture myself further into the cave :

" But your past, it always catches you back, always ! " Michael says and I scoff, nodding my head. He is correct about that. I check on Richy, he was conscious a few minutes ago, but he is now passed out again. Gloria would be pleased by that news. She will save Hannah and Richy. I refuse that she pays the price with her own life. She is everything I have ever sought in someone. All these years, battling my desire to give up, it was not for nothing, after all, it was to meet her. I thought the moment was never going to happen, the moment where I was going to feel whole again. But the very first second she came into my life, she made all the pain, all the scars, all the years of loneliness, worth it. I want everything she wants to offer to me. I will take all she lets me have of her. This is all I want.

Michael starts to talk about the persons he killed and my blood runs cold. I keep a cool head and keep moving. I will reach her in time and he will not the possibility to add her name on his list. I do not leave myself any other choice. Gloria glances at the camera. She knows I am here with her, she is not alone. I am right there, Gloria. Almost there. Michael notices and I abruptly stop in the middle of the way when he says my name. How does he know it ? Hannah or Richy or perhaps he had access to our chat. I shake my head and move, walking faster but the slippery dirt under my feet does not make it easy.

Michael keeps talking and everything is making more and more sense, just like I feel dumber and dumber. We are also getting closer to the end of his story but I do not feel like I am any closer to them. The way he talks about Hannah, it is making my chest burn with anger. Death does not scare him, taking a life does not disturb him, and Hannah will never recover from the one life she took by accident. He is more now than just a father seeking vengeance.