Chapter Twenty-Two

Gloria's POV

I needed time alone today. Jake was busy with Alan. This was stressing me out a little. I trusted Alan, but the last time I trusted someone it didn't end well. So I decided to go into town, on my own, to see if I would actually enjoy it by myself. I needed to be far from the cabin and far from Hannah in particular. She was not supposed to stay there at first but she was spending her entire time with us. I could not complain and her company was not the most unbearable thing in the world. It was the case when Jake was around though. It was starting to annoy me greatly. I had the best time with Jake last night. It was the two of us and that's probably why I enjoyed it that much. Also, the sex was... Fantastic and surprising. It was another side of Jake to discover again. His insecurities were left on the floor with my dress.

The girls were curious when I came back to the cabin in the morning. Having breakfast on the patio, Jessy and Cleo were giggling like schoolgirls while waiting for some details. I stayed discreet. Jake would not be comfortable with sharing everything that happened that night or in general between us so I respected that, much to the displeasure of my two friends. Hannah joined us and it was obvious that I was not talking about her brother's sexual life with her but she got curious, asking way too many questions. Cleo looked at her strangely and then looked at me. Maybe Cleo was seeing what I was seeing too. But we didn't get time to talk about it in detail.

A bit later, I spotted Hannah alone outside so I decided to go sit with her and clear the air. I could understand her feelings, plus it's not like Thomas was going to help her focus on another man than Jake. I could be patient, comprehensive but I had my limits :

" Is it ok if we have a little chat right now ? " I asked, with a timid smile as I sit on the chair next to her. She nodded and her smile was looking just as fake as Dan's new watch. He insisted on telling us it was a real Rolex. We all agreed on not insisting and simply complimenting him about it.

" I would like to talk to you about Jake, " I continue. she turned her head, surprised but she didn't say anything so I kept going " He didn't go into details concerning your relationship before knowing all that we know today, but what I understood was that the feelings between you two were strong. Now I might be out of my mind completely but... I know what a girl who has a crush looks like " I chuckled, but she didn't seem even a little bit amused " What I mean is, I am aware that you still feel something for Jake. I'm not here to shame you or yell at you and be all jealous but I wanted to simply talk about that with you. I know it's not easy to deal with everything so... " I didn't finish my sentence, she scoffed :

" You know it's not easy to deal with eveyrything ? Oh, my poor girl, you know nothing ! What we had and still have with Jake is special. You're not the only person in the world that can have a bond with him. You are clearly making things up and I don't like that ! But I guess you've turned everyone against Thomas so now it's only logical that it's my turn ! " She leaned towards me " I am grateful for what you've done, I am ! But now it's over. This is my group of friends, Gloria. You are just an extra. So don't get too comfortable here ! " She hissed between her teeth before leaving me alone outside. I stayed there for a while, speechless, not expecting that behavior to come from Hannah.

So leaving the cabin on the side for one afternoon was the best way for me to feel better and compose myself back together. Jake was texting me so I knew he was doing alright. Apparently, Alan is a sad lonely man with a nice cozy house. I let him focus on his work all day while I was focusing on myself. Hannah's behavior left me cold, even colder than Thomas'. My only purpose was to save her and now I was good for nothing else, not even good enough for a thank you that was meant and not forced. I changed my mind by blasting Jake's playlist in my ears while doing my shopping or my touristic visit to the surroundings.