Chapter Thirty-Three

A bit of a shorter chapter today ! Bear with me. I said we were close to the end of the story but I may have a little something to add some more chapters so we'll see where that goes !

As always, big thank you for reading and comenting and being so kind !

GLORIA'S POV

Once we're back in the car, Jake immediately falls asleep, slouching on me, sitting between Grace and I at the back. Everybody is quiet. Maybe because of the shock of what just happened, or to not disturb Jake, or simply because this is not the right time for small talk. I keep on checking his pulse, a fear that maybe his heart will suddenly stop beating :

" I know a doctor... Like a real doctor but a discreet one. I'll call him so he checks him up " Dan says after noticing me in the rearview mirror, confirming I was not holding a dead man in my arms for the tenth time in not even one minute.

I nod at him. My worry for him is all I have in mind right now. Once he is safe and himself again I will process the rest. For now, it's not what matters the most. His breathing is more stable, which is good. The fever is still here but also not getting worse. His hand is holding mine, sometimes mumbling my name as a question to assure himself that I am still here, before sighing with relief and falling right back asleep once I answer him.

I shake him gently as we arrive in front of the cabin back in Duskwood. Jake grunts, not happy to be woken up. While rubbing his fingers on his eyes, he hops down from the car. He is more steady on his feet :

" That's a weird-shaped rabbit over there ! " Jake mutters, pointing his finger to an empty spot. He then starts laughing, following with his eyes that invisible thing he wanted to show us " Woah ! " He exclaims, turning around and I pull on his hand so he follows me.

" Never thought I would ever see Hackerboy being high as fuck " Dan says, chuckling with the others as Jake is now totally amazed by something floating above the house, eyes, and mouth wide open. It is hard not to laugh. Him, who is always so serious, it is funny to see him like this. He does appear in better shape so I allow my worry to diminish a little.

As we enter the cabin, Dan takes the guns back and calls his 'doctor'. I lead Jake to the bathroom, starting the water to fill up the bathtub with lukewarm water to help a bit with his fever. Also, he is sweating so much that he can't be comfortable right now. I take off his jacket and hoodie and he giggles :

" You cannot have sex with me now, I am not able to give my consent. Even though I would always say yes to you, I am high not a total idiot "

" You are an idiot, Jake ! " I correct him, scolding him. His decision to go to that warehouse alone with such a reckless plan is another thing I'll have to digest.

" Uh,oh, I'm in trouble, aren't I ? " He pouts, helping clumsily to take his shirt off " I know a way or two that could help you forgive me " Jake's croaky voice whisper as his arms slide around my waist and he leans towards me, kissing me, my cheek, my ear, my neck " I was scared I was gonna die and never be able to touch you again. What would I have been doing without you ? I don't want to go to Heaven, because you are heaven. you know that song... How does it go ? " He drops a couple more kisses while thinking about it " Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth, Ooh, Heaven is a place on Earth " he hums before giggling even more.

" I am still mad but you are adorable I give you that " I chuckle, pushing him away to check the water " Finish undressing " I order and he raises an eyebrow, with the corner of his mouth lifted with a smirk