Fly high, fall deep

Trigger warning, this gets ugly. Substance abuse, self harm, suicide attempt.

He's dying in Hakuba's arms. Well. Rather this way than the other way around. Wouldn't that be a horror scenario, Hakuba dead on the ground after one of his heists. Taking a fatal hit aimed for KID, because he always needs to fucking save people apparently. Even Kaito, especially Kaito.

Pictures of the Nightmare heist swim before his eyes, only Connery's face is flickering, switching with Hakuba's from second to second. Blood seeping out of a cracked skull, staining blond hair. A familiar voice is calling his name from very far away. It's Hakuba's voice, he realizes. An active counterpoint to his brain's hallucinations. Hakuba is alive. And Kaito is the one dying.

Everything is good. Or well, as good as can be, given the circumstances. He gives it his best to follow the voice of the detective back out of the depths of his thoughts, maybe he'll be able to get out a sensible goodbye before he fades away.

He should've known how it'd end the moment he donned the damned cape. But he didn't. Or maybe he did and he pushed the knowledge away in juvenile carelessness. He who flys high falls all the lower, or something.

KID soared up into the twinkling expanse of the night sky for about five years in total. He reached for a star and experienced the unbelievable triumph of being able to catch it, to reach his goal. It would've been time to land then, but he didn't. And then the wind died down and he fell. And nonetheless Kaito couldn't stop clinging to that cursed white cape.

Finding Pandora had been amazing, breathtaking in more ways than the breathlessness he had been experiencing because he had to dodge the snipers' bullets. It had been exhilarating to finally reach his goal, and the feeling of triumph later that night, as the heavy hammer came down again and again until there remained nothing but powder of the gem, was beyond comparison, unlike anything he'd ever felt.

He'd avenged his father. He'd heard on the news about the standoff between the murderers and the police that had occurred after he'd dashed into the night, heady with his success. Somehow they'd all been arrested. It certainly had something to do with his littlest of detectives being present.

And then he'd been free. He'd delivered a deceivingly good imitation of Pandora to the police to return to the owner and hadn't been found out. The ones training rifles at him, the ones who took his father from him, were finally locked up and serving the rest of their lifetime in high security prisons, as they should.

His little detective, the KID killer, had left the stage soon after, disappearing off the face of the earth, and he was happy for him. He send one of his doves with a congratulatory card, just to mess with him one last time.

He should've stopped. He didn't. A month went by, two, three, and like an addict he kept itching for a heist. By the end of the fourth month the police was puzzling over a new heist notice.

It didn't stop there. Kaito turned eighteen and the heists kept coming. Hakuba was absent for most of them, the heists kept coming. His formerly little detective never returned, Kaito was willing to forgive him, there were much more important things to catch up on. He had a life to reclaim. The heists kept coming.

There were multiple prison breaks of those who wanted him dead, all the more reason for the heists to keep coming. Lure them to him, give the police another chance to catch them. Snipers returned to his heists, the heists kept coming.

Aoko got mad at him for never having time and didn't speak with him for weeks, the heists kept coming. Jii got diagnosed with final stage cancer, the heists kept coming. He stayed strong for three months before he succumbed to the illness, the heists increased frequency from once a month to twice a month.