Sweet gestures by the tooth fairy

Ran was shaking like a leaf.
She could be held at gunpoint and not move a muscle, but having her wisdom teeth removed that were stuck inside her jaw and had to be taken out surgically, because it was too small for them to grow out had her whole body trembling. She'd only been tense until the syringes were stabbed into her mouth, it hurt enough to make tears pool in her eyes. She heard Conan give a compassionate hiss, he and her father were waiting in the corner of the room. The doctor left while they waited for the local anaesthetics to settle in. The muscles in her face became slack as time went on and when her father made her laugh by laughing at her, her smile was a little crooked. That caused him and Conan to snicker even more. Then the doctor came back and send her father and Conan out of the door, so on their way out the terrified trembling girl called after them in a sudden fit of hysteria. "I hate you!", she shouted after them jovially. "Sure, I love you too.", Kogoro snickered jokingly under his breath as Conan had to press both hands to his mouth to not suffer a laughing fit at the doctor's stunned face at the girl's words towards her father. Then the door closed after the two. Ran gulped.

"Surely you meant 'I love you'.", the doctor mumbled more to himself than to Ran. She decided not to respond to that, she was way too scared to do anything anymore really. The following procedure was painful, but Ran was determined to endure it with her head held high. Not literally of course. The violent shaking of her whole body hadn't stopped. She spend enough time unconscious with all the times she fainted during a dangerous case, she'd decided and refused the offer of general anaesthetics. Just this once she wanted to be in control. Well, she wasn't really, but at least she was awake. That helped, even if it hurt. Her nails dug into the fake leather of the operation chair. The dull pain was highly uncomfortable but bearable she told herself, clinging to the thought that it was going to be over at one point as she allowed her thoughts to wander. Later she wouldn't be able to remember clearly what she'd thought of, but she recalled thinking about her favourite anime, about Sonoko and even KID at some point. And Shinichi of course. At some point she made the mistake to wince which made the doctor stab another syringe into her mouth, declaring that the anaesthetics were wearing of. Ran would've liked to tell him that her mouth had never been completely numb in the first place, but they were working in her mouth after all. She just told herself that she'd survived like this up to this point, so she'd be able to finish the procedure this way too.

When it was finally over Ran was still shaken. As she got up, she noticed that her fingernails had punctuated the fake leather and she was able to see the filling underneath. "Oh.", was her only comment, but luckily the doctor ignored it as he left. She wouldn't have been able to say much more anyway, with the cotton balls stuffed left and right into her mouth to suck up the blood. Her father wouldn't be happy to have to pay for that chair. But it almost seemed like there were other punctuations where she'd not gripped the chair, so maybe this was a common occurrence. She decided to ignore it. "Do you want to take your teeth with you?", the doctor asked. Ran shook her head 'no' in confusion, she hadn't even known this was possible. But right after that she felt a weird sense of loss. She didn't really understand it herself, but when the doctor returned, she gathered all of her shaken courage and asked if it was still possible that she took her teeth with her. Maybe she needed a trophy for what she'd endured today? Ran had no idea. The doctor just nodded and ushered her out of the room where a nurse awaited her to drag her into the little chamber across the hallway where they x-rayed her head to make sure they'd gotten everything out. Positive. After that she was handed a little bag with her teeth and a cooling pad for her face that was blue and green in some places, as well as swollen, making her look like a hamster. A hamster with bloody teeth and cotton balls in his mouth. She wasn't able to close her mouth properly because of them, she noticed annoyed. The doctor left her standing in the hallway as he went to fetch her dad and Conan from the waiting room.