While he was on the toilet

It was enough. She wouldn't do this any longer. She was done here. Done with him. Throwing a sideways look at her little daughter she made a decision even though her heart felt heavy with it. She was going to leave.

That night she waited for her husband to go to bed, but as always, he fell asleep on the couch downstairs instead. She went through with her plan anyway.

Two hours later she'd packed everything she could undoubtedly call her own into her suitcases and bags and was carrying them outside to their car, no, her car. She'd paid for that car with her own money and she was so going to take it with her.

Every time she passed the door behind which her husband was snoring on her way down to the car there was a tiny stab in her chest, but she'd always been very headstrong and she wasn't going to let her childish heart hold her back. There, that was the last one.

She slung the handbag over her shoulder and looked around the apartment one last time. Her gaze glued itself to the door of her daughter's bedroom. Guilt flooded her heart. Was she really about to leave her only daughter behind?

She was only seven years old and would be living with a father who wasn't even really able to take care of himself! How was her little girl going to survive without her? She wasn't leaving her forever, she told herself.

But as soon as she stepped through the door, she'd be a homeless woman without a job. And as incapable as her husband might be, their little girl was better off staying with him right now than with her. At least he had a job, even if he wasn't good at it, he still earned enough to pay the rent and the food. She couldn't say that that was the case for her at the moment as much as she might've wanted to.

Reluctantly, she stepped into her daughter's room. She was going to get her as soon as she was able to take care of the two of them, that was a promise, she swore herself.

Her sweet child was sleeping like the good girl she was, peacefully lying on her back, the blanket tucked under her chin. The exact position that she had left her in when she'd put her to bed.

She knelt down next to the bed. "Mom?" She froze as her daughter blinked sleepily at her. "Hey...go back to sleep.", she smiled at the tired child and reached out to caress her head. "What are you doing here mommy? It's bedtime..."

The mother drew back to have both hands available to tuck the blanket even closer under her daughter's chin. "I know sweetie, I know." "Did something happen?", the grade schooler yawned. "No, I just wanted to check up on you.", she lied without batting an eye.

"Liar..." The girl's mother was taken aback. "Why would- how did you know?", she asked carefully. "Shinichi. I learned how to tell when someone's lying by watching him do it." "I see...", the woman wondered about her daughter's friend.

"I'm not -uaaah- good at it though. I can only tell with you and dad. He can figure out uaaaaaah-nyone.", the girl got out in between yawns. "Alright.", she nodded, tucking the information away for later, just in case.

"So why are you lying?" The woman sighed as she swore in the privacy of her mind, she'd hoped that her little girl had forgotten what had started this conversation. "You know what your dad said and did today really upset me. I'm avoiding him.", she didn't look her in the eye as she offered the half-truth, picking at the blanket instead.

"That's not...uuuaaaah...the whole truth.", the little girl stated matter of factly while struggling to keep her eyes open, leaving her mother to wonder just when she'd become so observant and if Shinichi had something to do with it. "And why not?", she asked her child soothingly. "I can see your handbag right there." Of course. She shouldn't have underestimated her child.

"I see. Well...", she started running her fingers through her daughter's hair, knowing that this would lull her to sleep sooner or later, "I'm not only avoiding him in here. I feel like I need to get out for a while, you understand, don't you?" "Okay.", the girl responded half asleep. "Come back soon to wake me in the morning...", she whispered as she drifted off, so silently that her mother almost didn't hear it.

The woman smiled a teary-eyed smile as she pulled back her hand. Of course, her daughter wouldn't understand...that she wasn't just gone for a walk, that she wouldn't return in the morning, a little girl like her's probably wouldn't even imagine something like that to be possible. Alarmed she looked up as footsteps could be heard outside.

Grunting, her husband entered the apartment and trudged over to the bathroom. The door slightly ajar, she could see him sitting down on the toilet in the mirror.

Throwing one last look at her now seemingly asleep daughter she stood and crept out of her bedroom, closing the door behind her as silently as possible. Then she stood with her back to the wall, her eyes pressed shut.

Her husband sighed inside the bathroom. Had he noticed that her stuff was missing? Now or never she told herself, now or never. She took a deep breath as soundlessly as she could, then she pushed off the wall and dashed out of the apartment. Her leg hurt unbearably, but she ignored it.

With a soft click the door closed behind her, she slipped into her shoes that she'd hidden outside behind the flowerpot and fled down the flight of stairs, passing the now closed door of her husband's agency. Her shoes clicked silently on the concrete with every step she took. Just as often pain shot up her leg. She kept going.

Then she reached the end of the stairs and marched out onto the street with firm steps despite any pain she might've felt, threw herself and that last bag into the already full car and stuck in the keys.

The engine came to life and let her speed down the street and around the corner before her husband did even stand up from the toilet again. She'd done it, she'd made a decision and gone through with it and she was proud of that, she told herself, pushing all the other emotions aside. Now she was free and better off without him.

And never would Eri Kisaki let anyone know that she cried as she ran out of the house that she'd previously lived in with her family.