Only dreaming

The sense of alarm and urgency tied his ribcage together, squeezed the air out, forbid him from breathing. Didn't help the panic bubbling in his stomach, rising to sting at the back of his throat like bile. His pulse was running a marathon and every part of his body from his scalp to his toes was faintly prickling with anxiety, he felt the sweat bead on his skin.

They had to go into hiding yet they couldn't rush it, the enemy was too alert already and every wrong move would instantly be taken note of, but that heightened observation was precisely why they were running out of time. Well fuck. They were entirely too close for Conan's liking already.

Time to take some drastic measures. "Haibara, you're getting a haircut!", were the first words he shouted to announce his entry as he almost literally kicked down the door to the professor's house. Every cell in his body was now positively sparking with manic energy and one of his hands was already on his phone and texting his mother to freshen up her hairdressing skills and get on the next possible flight back over here without his conscious input regarding the action.

If his mother showed them how to keep gradually dying their hair different shades on their own she wouldn't even have to stick around the weeks or months they'd need to slowly diverge their appearance further and further from their old looks. That would only unnecessarily test the nerves of everyone involved. But speaking of nerves, his were still rather insistent on them not having weeks, much less months.

Somehow he'd crossed the room without remembering his steps, somehow he felt like he should have been pacing but his legs didn't move, his limbs were frozen as the sudden sensation of hundreds of malicious eyes on him hit him like a truck, there was the sound of an explosion and the house seemed to collapse around him though he couldn't see clearly and where were Haibara and the professor, they hadn't replied-

The ground shook from the detonation- but no it kept shaking, too long, maybe an earthquake? No, he was the one being shaken, someone had a tight grip on his shoulders and was shaking him and yelling at him-

Shinichi pierced the hazy veil of vague aimless panic and shot up into a sitting position, panting, sucking in desperate breaths and suddenly aware of the chill of sweat on his skin and his drenched pyjamas clinging to his body and the pair of hands letting go of his shoulders.

His eyes were slow to adjust to the darkness in the room, interrupted by the light from the open doorway, throwing the two shadowy silhouettes in the room, a small one cowering in the doorframe and a taller one right at his bedside, into sharp contrast. "Back with us?", the closer silhouette spoke up with a voice that couldn't be more familiar, that he'd known his entire life.

He managed to glimpse at the face connected to the voice through his squinting and the word Haibara rose in his throat before he remembered that that actually wasn't her name and he choked on it, erupting into a coughing fit that had his sister stepping back and wincing with visible concern. "Conan, please go wake up mom or dad.", Shiho softly called over her shoulder to the small figure hovering by the door, never taking her eyes off of Shinichi as he was fighting for air.

The little boy darted off down the brightly lit hallway, small feet audibly pounding the floor, while their sister switched on the small lamp on the bedside table before briefly retreating to the bathroom Shinichi remembered to be next door, and after a minute or so he slowly managed to recover his breath. Shiho returned and handed him a glass of water, her face perfectly neutral but her gaze full of gentle concern, now clearly visible in better lighting.

She steadied his hands on the glass as he lifted it to his mouth and didn't let go until he'd placed it safely on the bedside table. That alone made it so glaringly obvious that she wasn't Ai Haibara, she was Shiho Kudo, Shinichi's older sister by roughly a year. His gaze trailed over the room and the objects in it, the other bed in it, smaller, empty and with recently disturbed bedding. Conan's bed.