No reason

It was stupid, really. The case was an easy and usual one, nothing special. It hadn't even been a murder.

Shinichi nearly gagged in disbelieve at the dullness of the other detective, Kogoro Mori would forever be the slowest detective he'd ever met. And the police didn't seem to get it either. If it wouldn't have caught a lot of attention, he would've screamed in frustration.

But now wasn't the time to get his blood boiling, he was way too much in Kogoro's hitting range for his own good. Besides, he'd only figured out what had happened by now, not why it had happened.

Seemingly innocent, he tried to distance himself from the other occupants of the room, but today didn't seem to be one of his lucky days where things went mostly smooth. "Hey brat! Where do you think you're going?!", Mori yelled and startled the little faux boy.

"N-nowhere Uncle!", Shinichi chirped as childishly as he could and rubbed the back of his head with one hand in fake embarrassment while giving the older man a pure apologetic smile.

The famous detective mumbled something under his breath and got back to inspecting the crime scene again, so Conan got back to trying to escape the apartment's living room so he could look for clues in the other rooms. Again, no luck. The universe seemed to hate him today.

"Conan! You can't sniff around in a dead woman's apartment!" Of course, Ran just had to be waiting outside the living room. Almost as if she expected him to go and search on his own. She was getting too observant for her own good.

"Of course not! I just need to go to the toilet, Ran!", he tried to project pure innocence. "But...", Ran wasn't comfortable with the thought of allowing him to use a dead woman's toilet. "Please, it's urgent! Can I go?" "Alright. But I'll wait at the door!", Ran gave in with a sigh. Lovely.

At that moment in time he hated her for being like that, her usual self. And then he hated himself for even thinking that he was able to hate her for even a minute. Today wasn't helping his mental state.

Haibara had been joking that him getting snappier and more sarcastic than usual were signs of declining mental health, increasing cynicism, possibly bordering on depression, and of course he'd told her that that wasn't the case, but he wasn't so sure anymore if that was indeed the truth.

He stepped inside the bathroom and closed the door behind him under the watchful eyes of the girl he loved. "And don't even dare to try and lock it!" Why that-... A deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. There, all better. Now, time for a quick look around.

"Conan? How much longer is this going to take?! Conan, I didn't hear any running water, what are you doing in there?" Shinichi froze, hands in a cupboard they weren't supposed to be in and grimaced. Today she was annoying as hell. And he tried his very best not to be angered by her behaviour, but he couldn't help it.

"I'm almost ready!", he called back, hoping that he was able to keep his growing aggression out of his voice. "One more minute, then I'm coming in!", Ran threatened and started counting down the seconds.

On the other side of the door her almost secret crush blanched and quickly closed the cupboard and then proceeded to dart around the room putting everything back where it belonged to eliminate the traces of his search. Her countdown was nearing its end.

Frantically looking around Shinichi searched for a way to make her leave as soon as she entered so she wouldn't notice if he'd forgotten something. Damn. He could only think of one option. How embarrassing.

"Time's up Conan! I'm coming in!" The door flew open and Ran stepped inside to find Conan sitting on the toilet, his shorts around his ankles as his feet dangled in the air since he was so short.